CRANKSHAFTS ... CAN THESE BE SAVED OR WORTH SAVING ???????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: CRANKSHAFTS ... CAN THESE BE SAVED OR WORTH SAVING ???????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I bought six crankshafts for $10 so I do not have much in them. Of the six, four were worn out or so rusted on the bearing surfaces that they were just scrap. Some of the four were good at one time, but were so badly rusted because they were not stored properly. Now these two in the pictures might make it, but the ends are rusted, both were the pulley goes and also where it bolts up to the transmission. The one with the pitted up pulley end mics out at 1.240 or greater on all bearing surfaces. The other crank mics out at 1.220 - 1.230 on the rod surfaces and 1.240 on the mains. The big question for me, is that were it bolts up to the transmission, that surface is rusted and pitted and will need to be machined flat again. Is that advisable? If it need shims for spacing between the crank and transmission, is that too advisable? At one time these were good cranks but do to POOR STORAGE now I may have scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Steven - There's a well-known Model T guy (and forum member), in Colorado I believe, that would probably tell you that you have the beginnings of a nice fence to build at or around your Model T garage/shop! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

They're sturdy as can be, all the same length, and all have a nice flange with bolt holes on one end.

To me, that's the raw material for a very sturdy shop table, made with two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood for a top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

As crankshafts they are not worth saving. You would have to magniflux them and probably build up the bearing surfaces, then grind it. By the time you do that you can buy a known good one, or be most of the way to a new Scat crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

clean the left 1 in a electrolosis tank and polish it up and then measure it,I think the right 1 is to far gone without welding and building up because of pitting on bearing surfaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I was looking at the 3rd pic when I said left 1 and right 1. 4th pic had not loaded yet. Dialup.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Ed, have you been to Kiama?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

think its a shame,[ crank talking] ive lived over 90 years been around countless times been tormented to no end, now im a little worn and old they think im worthless,there will come a day they will wish i was still around.id rather be buried here in the USA then head to china to be sent back as a metric bolt with screw'd up threads. I say get a 55 gal drum or 2 with some used oil seal them and find a safe place and let them be. some one will one day be glad you did that. look what Walt Disney had done,some day he hopes to go another round..to day we have a process of spraying metal back on old cranks, and it works,I rebuilt a 29 Lincoln liberty 60 degree engine,replacement crank no where to be found, a shop that rebuilds truck engines in western Mass,did a super job engine back and customer very happy.me too saved another olde from scap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration