Generator on-car service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator on-car service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I took my generator off, several times. I hooked my 6 volt battery to it, with the third brush removed, found neutral following instructions. Now that I have the generator back on the car I wonder if it would be ok to loosen the screws in the back of the generator and readjust the brushes? what could it hurt and how critical is the adjustment? The third brush adjustment doesn't seem to make any difference as it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 12:00 am:

With generator off the car... when replacing the brush holder insulators, is it ok to use pop rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 01:12 am:

Iím donít think there is room for pop rivet.
If you adjust the nut on the third brush while on the car and itís running, it is live and if the wrench touches the generator body, you get all kinds of sparks.
I wonder how I know that.
It didnít seem to do any lasting harm but is very uncomfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:13 am:

Tommy,
when I am replacing the brush insulators I use the split rivets as used on the transmission bands.

For setting the brush bridge on the generator I first do as you said before, looking for the "neutral". After having reconnect the third brush and set it all the way down, I make the generator running on a test stand or a car and test the generator out put with a test light ( I use an 10W 12V bulb ) The generator is only connected to the test light. If the light lights up, it tells me that the generator is starting charge by it self, sometimes I need to flash the generator before the light will light up, sometimes I need to move the brush bridge a little.

All this OK, I connect a good 10A range ampere meter between the generator and the battery, make it run, untie the 4 small screws and set the brush bridge till I have about 1A charge. Tie the 4 screws and set the third brush till I have 4A charge. As all this is done I only connect the cut out or regulator and test again.

Just how I do it. I didn't found this by myself but learned it on this forum and the information I get from a few good friends, thanks . It was a great help for me.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Pop rivets work if you put the head on the bottom of the brushplate. I usually draw them tight just before the mandrel snaps. I then drive out the mandrel. This way there are no pieces to later fall off inside the generator. As a final step I flatten the bloomed area of the pop rivet with a hammer. They arenít coming loose.
I hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Brent Mize
The Coil Doctor

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration