I need some help on what shape and size screws were used.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I need some help on what shape and size screws were used.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I just finished making up some interior door locks used on the later T sedans. These are also now nickel plated as were the originals. What I would like to do is now reproduce the screws used to hold them in placed on the doors and which I never seen to machine and plate. Was it a common screw or was it an odd size and shape or not and I would just need to nickel them if a standard type?

Sorry for the click on for the picture rather then a picture but my size reducer program is not working for me. Bob

http://webmailbb.juno.com/webmail/new/21?folder=Sent&msgNum=0000pZW0:001QB0Qt000 02ryX&count=1512870469&randid=1525874170&attachId=4&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer &userinfo=289ccafdb5d79eca5f10a3ddbc7f531c&randid=1525874170

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Sorry, my attempt to post a picture of the lock levers didn't come out as I had hoped as it did on my preview so I will attempt to rework my picture resizing program and show you what I'm trying to do. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:13 am:

Bob, I have those screws if you need one..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Thanks, Don I'm just wondering if these screws are something that are common and can be gotten easily from a T supplier already. Here's an earlier picture of one I had done and had the picture already reduced but at this time I was unable to nickel plate any of my castings. I wanted to show the ones I had completed just recently and nickel plated but I can't get them reduced down to a size that this forum will except. In any case, I just wanted to complete the lever and screw as a set and have them both nickel plated if these haven't been done by someone already.
door lock

Back when I reproduced and nickeled these later sedan window cranks along with some originals I had picked at Hershey I found that the screws needed to hold them on we're not available. So I made ones up from scratch using an original as my pattern and these too were nickel plated I then turned these completed sets over to Lang's to sell. Bob

door lock

door lock

door lock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Wow, automotive jewelry! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Well I guess I can't help you on that. I haven't seen that style lock. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David G Maul on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Does anyone have a set of rear brake shoes for a 1923 Ton Truck? Dave Maul, Hope Mi. 98nine68946zero3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 02:31 am:

David, put an add on the classifieds. I'm sure someone will help you out. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 02:34 am:

Does anyone know for sure if those (beautiful!!!) window cranks that Bob made are used on the steel door '25 closed cars? Seems like I read somewhere those used the ones more like the Model A cranks. Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 09:42 am:

I think the Model A cranks were being used as a replacement since it had the same square drive center and only needed the side set screw used on A cranks to hold it on and the odd sized screw wasn't needed. If your window square drive and has the center threaded then it probably used this style crank arm.

This screw is a 3/4" slotted oval head with a 1/4-28 thread.

I first started reproducing some from 3/4" stainless steel rod to get the nickel finish before I was able to nickel plate these brass ones.

I also started reproduced the gear housing that broke due to the pot castings became brittle over time. Like this one pictured.

door lock

I first cast them in brass but later went to aluminum since they were easier to cast and machine and still strong enough to do the job. Again, I only reproduced the housing you still needed your gears to complete the fix. Bob

door lock

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration