About those Chevy 350 valves.........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: About those Chevy 350 valves.........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:10 am:

I noticed another post regarding valve keepers when using Chevy valves in a T.

I have a set of valves ready to install, but I was wondering.......do you use the Chevy valve springs, or are they too "stiff"? Should I use replacement T springs instead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:50 am:

You use the T springs.

The retainers may be Chevy (although I have heard they may be to large diameter and hit the block)---but then again some don't have issues.

I personally use Ford 351W exhaust valves with matching keepers and Ford 9N spring retainers. Everything fits perfect with the stock lifters if done right. You will have to regrind the valve seat for these valves, but most T's need a new valve seat surface anyhow.

You "may" be able to use the 9N retainers, but you would have to check the fit--But I believe the Chevy and Ford use the same 7 degree style retainer so it fit---but again, check the fit to verify.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 09:30 am:

You can use the stock T springs and Ford tractor valve retainers with the Chevy valves and keepers. Part number for the retainers is 8BA6514. I get them from "Just8Ns.com".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Thank you! I'll order regular T springs and check for retainer fit when I start assembling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I used Chevy valves, T springs, Ford 9N spring retainers and Chevy keepers. It all fit real nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

I've used the Chevy retainers and while they are large diameter they don't hit the block but they are close to rubbing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration