Old Photo - Model T Era - Concrete Wagon Bridge, Estherville,Iowa

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era - Concrete Wagon Bridge, Estherville,Iowa
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Too cool. What makes it a wagon bridge? Looks like it was made for cars to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Is this bridge still there? Any able to google for a current view?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Lots of road apples along the sides of the approach, therefore, wagon bridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I am quite surprised by the width of the bridge as it looks wide enough for use by modern vehicles, including chunky SUVs, large half ton pickups, and commercial box trucks.

More than a few New England bridges built during the '20s and '30s are desperately narrow for modern vehicles (which, like Topsy, "just growed") and now need to be replaced.

This is the Sewalls Falls bridge in Concord, NH and when built in 1926 it was considered a two lane bridge. As vehicles grew in size and weight it was restricted to one lane. It was replaced a couple of years ago with an efficient, but drab and uninspiring structure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:40 am:

This is a concrete bridge in Estherville. Not sure itís the same one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Here is another, this one has small abutments like the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:52 am:

The third bridge over the Des Moines River, this one looks different. IMHO the second was the closest but the trees are different, of course the originals my have been cut down and replace, maybe more than once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:05 am:

Tony,

I believe you have where the old photo was taken with your second picture looking west on Central Ave. near downtown. Probably was a park on the west side of the river just as it is today.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I just Googled all the concrete bridges in Esthervile and put on the site. Then I decided that the second was probably the one with a little realignment off the road. I was fun and kept me busy for a little while.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration