Old Photo - Ready For A Winter Drive, Hibbing, Minn.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Ready For A Winter Drive, Hibbing, Minn.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Nice boots, must have taken a half hour to put them on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:04 am:

They better open at least part of that winter front unless they want the engine to overheat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:30 am:

The film taped to the windshield and driver window are interesting. At first I thought it was a reflection of barn windows, but it appears to be a semi transparent film. Driving into the sun? What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:30 am:

"What Doug said", would require clean white socks everyday. Wonder if anyone makes that style of boots ???

Wouldn't want to open the "winter front" too far this morning Mark, it's 18 degrees in Greenville WI !!! Next Tuesday they forcast 6 degrees for overnight low !!! Missurah don't look too bad this time of year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Yes they make high lace boots known as logger boots or motorcycle boots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I forgot to say I found these boots on the Carolina Boot Company site.

Put them on in the fall and take them off in the spring or you're late for work every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Hi Mark,

Yes, driving in winter with a radiator cover of the type depicted above can become an exercise in watchfulness and patience as you monitor the Motometer AND you are rewarded WITH exercise as you often stop the car to dismount, walk to the front of the car to adjust the cover up or down, then retake the helm and proceed until the Motometer again indicates that additional adjustment of the cover is necessary.

I have driven many winter miles with a cover of similar style and found that a "sweet spot" for the cover was, at best, elusive. Many variables caused the engine temperature to fluctuate quite a bit with the cover in place.

I have installed a thermometer for this season's driving and I WILL share my experiences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Since I don't see any comment on this, I'll give answering a question a try. The transparent film on the door and windshield keep them from frosting up (no idea how well that worked but am confident that is what the film is for).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Betsy's winter front is a non-adjustable piece of black painted cardboard. I put it on her when the outside air temp is below 40 deg F. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Pretty sure you're correct about the "patches" on the window glass. As the "hurtin' Albertans" come streaming south for the winter, I've noted our friends to the north still use similar items so they can see out when glass fogs up inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

My Sister in Law's Mother was from the Hibbing area, man, the stories she told about winter up there. One of my Sister in Law's Uncles froze to death there, they lived out on a Farm, and he had gone out to feed, milk, or whatever, and lost the rope. They have ropes between buildings up there so you will not get lost, and somehow he lost it. His Wife knew if she went out to find him, she would die too, so she stayed in. A few days later someone came by to check on them, and of course end of the story. In later years this Wife went to visit her Sister, my Sister in Law's Mom. They had a falling out, and she went back to Hibbing, spent the winter in her Kitchen, only room in the house that was anywhere near warm. The Mother in Law's Mother was a Rural Mail Carrier, she told stories of riding with her Mom to carry the mail, and having to shoot at the wolves to keep them away. You can have Hibbing, one of the things I remember about it was the iron ore roads, and how hard they were on tires.

rural mail carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

A portable out house for people on the go!

Dad used to tell of building a fire around the water pump so they could get water in the winter. I had to do it once but I was out camping in the winter. We would pile snow all around our tents and bury them for insulation against the cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Here's a link to a past thread on Henry's Chest Protector winter fronts.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/214826.html?1307044618

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Mark, my grandparents lived in Bemidji west of Hibbing.
It eas quite common to be -30 during the day and drop to -60 at night. Covering the radiator is a necessity. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:44 am:

When I was a kid most car heaters reserculated the air inside the car, which would/ will cause the windows to fog up in very cold weather.
All hardware stores sold those plastic window patches that you glued to the side windows so you’d have a small area to see through clearly, sometimes on the rear window too.
I had them on my ‘33 Ford, and my ‘40 and two ‘46 sedans as well as my ‘41 coupe.
The ones I used had a narrow strip of black foam rubber around the edge and a dot of same in the center to keep the clear material from touching the glass.
Later on there was a film that you could put directly on the glass.
There were also some made of glass with toaster type wires to put hear on the glass.
Cars without a good defroster used them on the wibsheild, usually only in front of the driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:47 am:

That should read,”to heat the glass” not hear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 12:49 am:

You can see more comments about the photo here, including info on frost shields:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/697931.html?1480766549

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:15 am:

I lived around there too for a few years.
It was common for the temp to get down to -30 every year and even -35 at night but not common to get below -40, in fact the record low in bemidji is -50.
BTW, it was -38 the day I was born in January 1937.
I was the only one of 5 kids to be born in a hospital.
The others were born during warmer weather at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:22 am:

I lived around there too for a few years.
It was common for the temp to get down to -30 every year and even -35 at night but not common to get below -40, in fact the record low in bemidji is -50.
BTW, it was -38 the day I was born in January 1937.
I was the only one of 5 kids to be born in a hospital.
The others were born during warmer weather at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Not T but somewhat related - my first car was a '61 Skoda and it had a window type shade in front of the radiator with a small chain that came inside the car to under the dash so you could adjust the amount of coverage. I never needed is here in NW Washington but it stuck in my mind as kind of clever.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration