New Owner of a 1924 Model T Coupe!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New Owner of a 1924 Model T Coupe!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Last month I advertised on a couple Model T websites, looking to buy a 1924-25 Coupe for my friend here in Davenport, Iowa. He doesnít own antique cars per se, other than an early 1960ís Triumph. So, this would be his first foray into the world of Model T Fords. It wasnít so much that he wanted a Model T; rather, he showed me an old photo four weeks ago of his mother leaning against the front fender of his parentsí Model T. In a second photo, his father is leaning against the same fender, both jauntily sporting a newsboy cap that was so popular in the 1920ís and 1930ís. (See scans below) Obviously, one parent took a photo of the other and then they swapped positions. The Iowa license plate reads 1932, which fits with the stories my friend said his father told about that Model T Coupe. From the photos he showed me, I was able to identify the car as a 1924 or 1925 Coupe, ruling out 1923 because of the presence of a radiator splash apron that didnít appear until the model year 1924.

Anyway, my friend wanted me to find a Coupe like the one in his family album. He is restoring/updating the family homestead near Toolesboro, Iowa, that has been in the family since the 1850ís. Because it is a farming community and his familyís homestead is out in the boonies, he wanted to drive the Model T around the area to visit neighboring towns steeped in history. The roads are flat and mostly paved, not much traffic. This should work out nicely for a novice Model T owner.

My classified ad resulted in only a couple replies, even though I made it clear that a ready buyer with funds in hand was available. I even sent messages to people, who had advertised their 1924-1925 Coupes for sale on the Internet. It was disappointing that only two responded. The rest never even acknowledged my inquiries. Why would you offer your car for sale on the Internet and not bother responding to serious buyers? Or, at least inform the world that the car had been sold. GrrrÖ. Well, I put my friend in contact with one advertiser who DID respond with a promising candidate for purchase. After a few email exchanges and telephone calls, my friend and the seller agreed on a price. Pending an on-sight inspection of the car, it was a done deal. My friend and I drove his truck with a rented car trailer from Davenport, to the rural area near Lancaster, Kentucky, this past Wednesday. Fortunately, the weather was good; just cold and windy. The car basically measured up to my expectations, other than a few details that weíll correct in the springtime. John and I were satisfied with the car overall, so the purchase was made and the funds were handed over to the seller. (Are you listening, you guys who never responded to my inquiries? $$$$$$ FUNDS HANDED OVER!!! $$$$$$) We loaded up the Coupe and headed for Iowa, an almost 11 hour drive because we went directly to my friendís homestead to drop it off. The Coupe is now safely stored away for the winter. John is excited about getting into the world of Model Tís, so I hope I found him the right car. Weíll know more when we delve into it once warmer weather has returned.

As to the photos accompanying this tome, two of them show his parents with their í24-25 Coupe in 1932. The radiator emblem says ďAmes, IowaĒ, which is the seat of Iowa State University. Johnís father graduated from that school and so did John. (As a third generation University of Iowa Hawkeye alum and fan, I donít hold THAT against either of them Ė much.) The other photos show John and the seller with Johnís new toy. The smiling man seated inside the Coupe is John himself. The car will be parked in the same garage/barn where the Coupe in the old family photos was parked during the 1930ís! Itís an interesting structure built in the early 1900ís with one side set up for a horse-drawn carriage or wagon, and the other side for a car with a wider door. John says he found Model T coil boxes and tools in that side, so they may have belonged the very same Coupe in the old photos!

Stay tuned. Iíll post updates as restoration progress continues and John learns to drive his first Model T. In the meantime, please extend a welcome to John, the newest member of the Model T community.

Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

I'm glad they found a Coupe that they can use to bring back memories. All they need now is to have someone cut the lettering on the front of the radiator so the car is identical and then take their pictures like the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Yup! Good idea! There's also a pennant (decal?) for Iowa State on the lower windshield half, in front of the passenger. A new one should be easy to find. But will it be legal these days since it somewhat blocks the driver's vision?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Very cool Marshall. We're nothing without friends. :-)
Nice looking Coupe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Tell John "Welcome to the coupe group!
Nice looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

I just picked up a 24 coupe this fall. Finishing a couple other projects but hoping this spring to play with it. Good on you for helping a friend find his T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

"The Coupe Group!" Golly Wayne, I LIKE that moniker and will have to employ it.

Marshall,

Congratulations for finding such a nice car for your buddy! It looks swell and I know that he will enjoy it. Thank you for sharing your story of the search and moreover the two vintage pictures. John's parents appear to be quite happy and as much as I would like to give all of the credit for their joy to owning their coupe, likely there is more story behind the pictures than we will ever know.

In my Very Biased opinion, (I own a '24 coupe) they are the Best Model T coupes.

Now, I will concede the the earlier (suicide door) coupes have a "carriage style" appearance to the body which is appealing to many.

The Improved coupes look too much like a Model A for my liking and they have a few changes which I feel are not improvements.

Might you be able to post a few pictures of the barn in which John will store the coupe? It sounds intriguing.

A late winter drive a few years ago with my coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

John's parents both lived well into their 90's, passing away just a couple short years ago. A happy and long life together. 'Can't ask for much more than that, can you?

I'll see if John will take some photos of that "barn of special purpose" next time he's down at the farm. Quite far-sighted of his grandfather (?) to make provisions in the early 1900's when he built that barn/garage to accommodate those new-fangled horseless carriages. They couldn't have been all that common that far back in rural Iowa. As a concession to the past, though, one side of the garage still took Old Dobbin into consideration. One horsepower in one side and twenty horsepower in the Model T in the other side. :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Great story, thx for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

That car doesn't need much to make a good driver out of it.I wouldn't get it to spiffy so folks wont be scared to stand on the running board or something for a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Looks like a great car, and I wish John much pleasure with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I also like the look of the 24-25 coupes the best. But as always beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Here's a photo of that barn. John sent it to me the other day, but I've been having computer problems.
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Very neat story.

Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration