OT Edison Phonograph

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Edison Phonograph
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I know several members have an interest in old phonographs. I recently bought a Amberola 30, and would like to know is there a web site or face book,club or what have you that I could find. I am looking for someone that repairs the diamond C reproducer. Thanks Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year to all.
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

This'll get you started... Tom's Phonographs and Old Records, and for parts and repair, Wyatt's Musical Americana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Very nice folks here:

http://www.antiquephono.com/products.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

I have dealt with Wyatt's concerning a Victor machine. I bought a spring and some needles many years ago.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Thanks Bruce and Scott very much appreciated.

Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

I recommend Wyatt's Musical Americana also. They have done a number of reproducers for me, including the Edison C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

I have collected Edison and Victor phonographs for almost 30 years.
The best on the planet when it comes to rebuilding Edison reproducers is Steve Medved.
He is extremely reasonable too!
His email:

steve_noreen@msn.com

PS A great site: The Talking Machine Forum

Best,
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

That's steve underscore noreen @msn.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Wyatt only answers phone monday thru wednesday from 9am to about 1pm pacific time.

does great work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Peter Dilg
172 Long Beach Ave.
Freeport, L.I., N.Y

1-516-223-0533

Ron Sitko
1-518-371-8549

Peter does phonograph work for the Edison Historic Site in West Orange, NJ

Ron Sitko rebuilt a Diamond B reproducer for us. First class work.

Please remember, a good diamond stylus replacement can be expensive, but better sound comes from an original Edison diaphragm with fresh gaskets adjusted correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Gene I knew you would chime in on this thread

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Sam,

Here you go. It's just like this forum, but it's for phonographs. The advice above about Steve Medved is spot-on! He's the best and very reasonable as well.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/index.php?sid=328faa92d1966fb613c4d3187ef408c6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Tim Graczyk is a MTFCA forum member...

http://www.gracyk.com/index.html.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I'm an Edison/old phonograph guy myself. I've rebuilt a Diamond C a while go. Don't remember a whole lot of details, though, so don't quote me on all of this, but here it goes.

The stylus usually doesn't require replacement. They last a LONG time! They are ball shaped, but only part of it touches the record, so usually you can rotate it and find a good spot if one has gone flat. The stylus is held in with wax, so a low temperature soldering iron is all it takes to loosen it up. Use a pair of good tweezers, LIGHT pressure on them, and a powerful magnifying glass.

The diaphragms hold up well, but new ones can be had if yours happens to be bad. The number one thing that kills them are the gaskets, which go bad and require replacement. Usually a new set of gaskets is all that's needed to get an Edison Diamond C (or most other reproducers, for the matter) back up to snuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

I sent it to Steve Noreen, thanks all, will see how it turned out. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Cameron:

The procedure you described is for a "C" 4-minute wax cylinder reproducer...used on the Standard, Fireside, & other outside horn machines. The stylus was a sapphire with a ball end, and when worn could be turned to expose a new surface to the cylinder.

The Diamond C reproducer is for the Blue Amberol 4 minute cylinders. The Diamond C reproducer was used on the Amberola series machines...30, 50, 75...the conical diamond tip was positioned in the stylus bar and held in place with Edison's proprietary method. When worn, stylus bar with diamond tip gets replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Bob,

I think you meant that the "C" is a 2-minute wax cylinder reproducer and not a 4-minute?

Cameron,

For further clarity, the "C", (2-minute)

The "Diamond C", (4-minute)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I believe Mark at Model T Haven has an interest in the old machines....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Mine is The Diamond C (4 minute) off a Amberola 30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Jerry..... thank you for correcting. appreciated !

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Bob,

You are totally right. I got the two mixed up :-)

I've never rebuilt a Diamond C. What I worked on was a Model C for a two minute wax cylinder. Then as my cylinder collection rapidly built up with Blue Amberols, I rebuilt a Model K for my Home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Cameron, I certainly would like to meet you some time. I have never met another model t'er who was into Edisons, and in Oklahoma. I have an Edison Gem, four standards, two homes, three firesides, and a triumph. An Amberola 30 and an amberola V. Three diamond discs and a number of Columbia and victor machines. Correction, I have been to Iola, Ks. and seen Mr. Friemeyers great collection of phonographs and model T parts. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Eddy Lee & Cameron:

My collection has a Amberola V, VI, X, Diamond Disc S-19, C-19, and a working Factory Testing frame with the C-19 bedplate & 250 horn.... not really in your area of Oklahoma.... ( N.J. )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Eddy Lee, I think there are a lot of T'ers that collect. Here's a list of my machines:

Edison Triumph A with Cygnet Horn
Edison Maroon Gem
Edison Standard
Edison Banner Lid (Suitcase)
Edison A-250
Victor II (Humpback)
Victor Credenza
Victor VI
Keen-O-Phone (floor model, open horn)
Victor 50 (portable)
Victor 50 (table model)

Jerry Van also is a collector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Eddy,

Absolutely. If you ever happen to be here in OKC, look me up!

Unfortunately, I have only my Edison Home, (plus several Victrolas), but that doesn't mean I don't want more! I would love to have an Amberola 30 and a Diamond Disc :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Oh poo, I only have one! :-) My C-19 Edison Diamond and about 60 records bought by my relatives on Dad side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

I have an early phonograph (not sure of year or model or even where it is right now in the attic) that has an oak wooden 'morning glory' horn that has deteriorated. Who restores these horns or who makes reproductions? Sorry, I just saw this thread and have not read all the way through it so perhaps this has already been answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Oh no, Marty outed me!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration