Fabric behind mirrors in gas lamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fabric behind mirrors in gas lamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

What is the purpose of the fabric behind the mirrors in gas lamps? I know it used to be asbestos, that it needs to be flame resistant / high temp, and that Lang's sells a repop made of fiberglass cloth (looks like from a welding blanket).

Is it for padding, or to prevent heat transfer between the glass and the back panel of the lamp? It seems like it would accomplish both.

Does this look like a suitable substitute? My mirrors are due to arrive back today and I want to be sure I put something adequate behind them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9JV7YJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie= UTF8&th=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Forgot to mention, I already have this material. If it's a suitable sub I can install them without placing an order and waiting for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Gary,

The purpose of the fabric is to keep the lamp bucket from wearing the coating/silver off the back of your mirrors due to vibration and rotation of the mirrors when the clamps are too loose. The mirrors only get warm from the flame of the burner.

As well as asbestos when I can salvage it, I use the 1-1/2" fiberglass webbing cut to length with a couple dabs of glue to hold each strip (3 side by side) to the bucket. Clamp the mirror down without wrinkles in the padding. I do this with the headlight in my lap and the burner out.

I have John Browns and check/snug up the mirror clamps every 3-400 miles or so to be sure the mirrors don't get loose.

For those starting up gas headlights for the first time...don't leave your acetylene burners lit for more than 3 to 4 minutes without driving the car. The headlights were designed to be air cooled by motion of the car and they don't get near as hot as your radiator.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Thank you Ken!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Yes, it's primarily a pad with a little thickness to press the mirrors against. I don't see why what you have won't work but I've never tried it. Nice flame in the lamp on your profile!

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration