Old Photo - The Smart Dressed Businessman And His Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - The Smart Dressed Businessman And His Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Well dressed indeed. My grandfather died when I was in High School. I found when cleaning out his closet that everything in there fit me perfectly. Even the coat, similar to that one, that he wore at Bates College in Maine in 1927. I got used to the fit of those clothes, and still have my pants with a 1 1/4 inch cuff, just like that. I still wear lace up shoes as in the picture too. The tie is a bit short for modern day wear, other than that, why change a thing. Oh, grandfather did die of lung cancer, I never saw him without a smoke in hand. Left me a nice collection of Model T tools too. Wish I had his Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Ohio plate collectors can probably tell us what year in the 20s this was taken ? Great picture !! Thanks again for all these great photos, Jay !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

A dapper young gentleman like that must have a girlfriend. That and the license plate makes me think of an Al Jolson song.

Sorry, I can't type music, but I always loved the lyrics.
(Just a couple)

"Down by the O-hi-o, lives the sweetest little O-my-oh!"
"A country girl you know is just like a Ford, not very stylish, but for service? Oh Lord!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRpOHKX4PMU

"Ford" line begins about 1:50.

Wonderful picture. And that is how I like to look when I drive my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Looks like he has a spot-light at his left shoulder and a luggage rack on the drivers running board. Is that apron the correct one for the earlier cars it looks very close to an improved model? Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett, Oak Park, Calif. on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

I have that hat!! got a repro at Macey's and I LOVE it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

James,

The 1924 to 1927 shared the same radiator size. And on page 331 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford" he had a photo of a 1924 touring. It also had the valance below the radiator but Bruce shared, "This photo shows a later valance (1926-27) with the hole below the crank for a retaining screw but otherwise this is typical of the 1924-25 models."
And looking at other 1924-27 photos they look the same except for a screw to eliminate a rattle (ref page 386).

Note with the lip on the fenders, radiator apron, and the unequal length hinges -- it would most likely be a 1924 model year car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:28 am:

Darn it Hap, would you kindly refrain from calling the radiator apron a valence! I think that is a term Bruce McCalley coined!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Hap,
I think that Bruce made an error on that photo on page 331 of his book. The 1926-27 radiator apron for a passenger car will not fit properly on a 1924-25 because it is too tall. I believe that the apron in that photo is actually for a 1926-27 TT truck, which is the same as on a 1924-25 car, but with the added screw hole.
See these photos.
The upper apron is for 1926-27 car, part # T-3977-C. The lower black apron is for 1926-27 TT trucks, part # T-3977-F, with factory # TT-8016.
Notice how much higher the space is above the crank hole. Even though the radiator is the same height on 1924-27 Model T's and TT's, the radiator sits on top of the hood shelves on 1926-27 cars. So, the apron is higher to fit that condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration