Roll up rear curtian help.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Roll up rear curtian help.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Can someone show a photo of a roll up rear curtian with window? I am installing the top on my 26 roadster pickup. Need to know where the fasteners go for the 2 straps that hold it in the rolled up position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Monday, December 11, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

The buckle or twist thing goes up on top of the bow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:23 am:

I'm sorry to inform you, that 1926 models came with no roll up back curtain. That feature was discontinued with the 1915 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:36 am:

Dallas,

Attached is a photo of 3 of my grandkids just prior to the start of our Christmas parade that shows the roll up rear curtain that I put on my 1919 Touring.

I purchased it from Mac's years ago. You may want to reach out to them to see if you can get their installation instructions as a good reference before you start.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Thanks guys. I know its not an option in 26. I drive the wheels off this truck and its not restored or judged for points. I have instructions from classtique but they are vague on a few details. Very cute grand kids! If anyone has a close up shot of fasteners on the top of the bow please post it. Thanks as always for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 07:54 am:

I've seen these illustrated as accessory tops in vintage catalogs long after 1915. So, they had them back then. Actually I like when the top can be removed altogether and might do that on mine. The folded down top frame gets in the way if you have a non-Ford box back back there. I might be putting a tintype darkroom in the back at some point. No ... portable darkrooms were never offered by Ford in '23. :-)

I guess it's another case of the difference between keeping you car true to what left the Ford factory .. or how many people modified their cars in the model T era. I'm a mugwup ... appreciate both for different reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Dallas, the instructions for installation of the top on my 1912 Include this section about the rear curtain.....hope this may help you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Thanks Jeff. The exact wording in my instructions. "Leave 3 peices fastened together". They are not fastened together.
I figured out how they install. I just picked up some spring clamps to help hold things in place. Do the fasteners for roll up curtian go on top of finish trim or above or? They go on top of rear bow but where? This forum is the greatest. To get questions answered on a 90 plus year old car is priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson_graham nc on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:45 am:

you have to put the fasteners in the material that hold the three pieces of the curtain together then hang it as a unit. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Got it. Philip that was the confusing part. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:53 am:

and I believe the straps are tacked to the top bow first, so that they are inside the rear curtain. When rolled up the straps loop from the inside, around the roll and then fasten over the "pin" that is tacked to the top bow on the outside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Here's my install on a '27 touring. Main thing is to place the wide vertical rear top straps apart enough for the roll up window, or else you will have those wide straps showing when the rear window curtain is rolled up.

The buggy large head pins on the outside of the rear bow, to secure the curtain straps when rolled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

There's a right and wrong way to roll the curtain to prevent dust and dirt from getting in. Start rolling at the bottom by folding the edge up and inward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Tommy,

Thanks for the above posting. It makes sense and will be changed the next time I get out to the shop.

Have a great day,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

After a full day inthe shop and some help from all you guys, I have the rear curtian installed along with the top deck. I have the trim tacked in place above the windshield. A couple fire runs today slowed things down a bit but I think Im in the home stretch.
Thank you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Tommy, that is a good tip and I will utilize that method from now on. By the way, the instructions for top installation I offered are in the mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Dallas....Congratulations on your success today! Gratifying, isnít it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Yes. After talking with you on the phone it all made sense. Thanks Jeff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration