T 202 W Front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: T 202 W Front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:10 am:

I have a couple early front axles here and trying to determine the years
they look alike
one has T 202 and a W under it
the other has no markings,
any ideas
yes I know perches are reversed on one
Bob
I am thinking the no name is 1912 ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Sometimes the information is closer to the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:47 am:

The "W" is the "Williams" foundry mark. Many Model T front axles are marked with a "T" transposed over a "W" for "Transue-Williams." I think it is an early one--maybe about 1911, before the T and W merger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

The plain one has no markings on either end or in the center, I wire brushed the whole axle and nothing, if I remember 1912 some had no markings? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

My '12 has a Dodge Bros. T-202 axle, clearly marked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Companies other than Dodge were making axles for Ford by 1912. A couple years ago, through google, I found a lot of great information about Transue and Williams companies. A few months ago, I tried to find some of that information to confirm what I remembered reading, and google gave me tons of responses of nothing I asked for. IF I recall correctly from what I read a few years ago, Transue and Williams merged about 1911 or '12. They would likely have continued using pre-merger markings for awhile after the merger. I have an axle just like that one, T202 with a W. I don't recall if I put it under a car or not, but I think I used the T over W one, and should still have the W axle for a future project.
The horseless carriage crowd, and some early T people, sure do love their Dodge Brothers axles. I have seen many people brag about them on their 1915 T. The silly thing is, that very few Dodge axles were still being put on new Ts in '15. The T/W axle is probably more correct on anything from 1913 onward.
Even after Ford started forging most of their front axles in house, Transue Williams continued being a secondary supplier almost until the end of T production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I wonder about the one with no markings, if I remember right for a short time in 1912 these were used, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Just FYI, The perches have most likely been reversed to accomodate / fit one of the aftermarket assistor spring or snubbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Yes I have seen that before, Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration