Old Photo - Early Brass Era Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Early Brass Era Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Great picture !! What year is the T ? I'm guessing the photo is late 30s at the earliest, on the occasion of getting Dad's (or grandpa's) old car out for some exercise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Interesting accessory windshield. Notice the hole in the splash shield for the carbide tank hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Along with the windshield, would the top and bows have been updated to a 1913-14 set ? Looks like another '15 hood in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:12 am:

"Torpedo" style w.s. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Top is 1918-22 due to the square sockets.

A dog-leg is in the windshield required because the front bow of the later top isn't long enough.

Neverout sidelamps.

To me, the photo looks like it was taken in the mid to late 1940s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

1910!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Brothers perhaps? It is a delightful photo in many ways. Jay seems to retrieve these from some mystical place we can't find.
Thank you.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Right you are Erik. Which came first ? The accessory windshield, or the replacement top ?

(Sometime in 1918 - "Lookee here Dad, I just bought a whole brand-new top for the old jitney to replace the one you wrecked when you drove it through the barn without putting it down." Dad : "Ya damfool kid, them newfangled tops is all of a foot shorter nowadays. Ain't gonna fit." )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Seems to be an 1911 touring since it has E&J 666 headlamps, tapered rear axle, two piece dash and diamond pattern running boards.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

It's a bitsa car! Ain't worth a damn...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

1910 body & hood former. looks like 5 1/2 " hubs?.lots of changes. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

door handles & hinges 1910. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

CHARLEY! That you?!
Glad to see you.
I do hope a few former trolls can behave themselves now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

we will see. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I echo Wayne's sentiments. Nice to see you here. I know I used to rib you about not posting pictures, but your expertise in antique autos astounded me (others too, I'm sure). Please post more often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

i finally got someone to fix my camera so i can post easley. but douse not help my spelling. ha.ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

We always understood you Charley, no problem there :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Tim, here ya go. You get the prize

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Glad you're back Charley ! Missed your good posts !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Jay -- thank you for another great photo!

Charley -- good to see you posting and good to have you back!

Looks like several items were replaced over the years. What about the rear wheel? A higher resolution copy would make it easy to tell. But does it have a hub cap on it? And if it does not how is the wheel held onto the axle? On the original 1909-early 1911 cars the Hub cap holds the pin that holds the wheel to the axle (ref:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#rwhubs where it has:
++++++++++
1909-1910
2815 (T-102)
Designed for non-tapered axle with pin through the diameter to hold the wheel. 5-1/2” diameter flanges. The general shape of the hub was like that of the front hubs.

2815B (T-40B)
Non-tapered axle continued into early 1911. 6” flange style hubs for these axles.

1911-1927
2815C (T-2819)
Tapered axle. Flanges are 6” diameter. Shorter, near-uniform diameter hub section.
+++++++

But the hub flange looks similar to the front and I think it looks like the 5 1/2 inch? How would they have the later taper axle hub, later larger diameter spokes, with the earlier 5 1/2 inch flange? Of course they could have also put a bolt through the hole where the axle pin originally would have been. But I think there is probably a nut on the rear axle holding the wheel onto the axle.

But clearly the 1910 body (and I think possibly very late 1909 model year body also had the 3 bolt body mounts, and raised door handle), 1909-1910 hood former etc.

If only the photo could talk.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 06:26 am:

Maybe the guys talking about Buggy Rails in the other post should have a close up look at this photo! Agree it’s a 09/10 with the shape of the rear doors and a real bitsa
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Front seat top brackets have been replaced with a later style and moved back. It has those saddle arms with the real tight bend. Interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Brick street

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Crazy side lamps

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration