Matching transmission parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Matching transmission parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

A friend who is working on a 1924 TT found that the brake drum was junk, so we went through the ones I had in the barn and found this one.

It's in very nice shape. The lug shoes have prevented the usual disk wear you find on drums that don't have them. Unfortunately, of all the drive plates we looked at, not one of them would fit it. The bolt holes don't line up.

So we went with the second choice. This one doesn't have the lug shoes, but the lugs aren't bad. A little filing will smooth them without removing too much material.

Importantly, the holes line up so you can get the bolts in.

So here are some questions we had. When were the lug shoes introduced? Can they be used on the earlier drums that don't have them? Would it be OK to elongate the bolt holes on an earlier drive plate in order to use it on the drum that has the shoes? I'm guessing the answer to the last two questions is no, but I'll ask anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Steve, the PCD on the drums with lug shoes is smaller than for those without shoes. The narrow drum you show requires its own drive plate which has the same outside diameter as the drum, as that forms part of the drum surface when installed. That rules out using a drive plate from a 26-7 wide drum trans, even though it has the same PCD.

There is not enough 'meat' in the lugs of a non shoed drum to enable more to be taken off to accommodate shoes. Many drums are already cracked about the threads where the drive plate is bolted on.

Which leaves elongating holes in an earlier drive plate. Your solution, finding a proper matched pair is the way I would go.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

The "shoed" lug drum came out in 1925 and are not common and there was a notice in the Ford Service Bulletins to do just that - elongate the holes in the early driven plate - I'll look for the service announcement later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Steve is correct I have a couple of them and the driven plates holes are longated, some of them have bolts with straight screw heads on them for clearance and wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Hey Steve, Martin Vowell had the same trouble with his tranny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 05:32 am:

Also suggest that you check the fit of your universal joint in the
square drive hole of the driven plate. Mine was flogged out which made me look for another one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 05:49 am:

Joe, you raise an interesting point. I wonder which came first, the round head bolts with screwdriver slots or the extended hex head bolts? The latter are surely more reliable as far as getting them torqued up. That would suggest they are an improved version which came later.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 06:13 am:

The extended hexhead Bolts were the later style that ran through to 27 are my findings.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Has any one tried to metal spray the outside of the drums to fix them, just wondering? Could there be another coating to make them last longer and work better? Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

RE the above by E Keenan, I've wondered if any body ever tried cutting a drum undersize, and shrinking a sleeve over it.Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

I have elongated the earlier drive plate a number of times and have never had an issue. The drive plate centers on the drum edge so the screws are only retaining the plate and of course transferring all motion to the drive shaft so don't elongate excessively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

The 1924 Brake drum that came out had a Drive Plate, and tail shaft that matched.

If you only ordered the brake drum, then you could use your old Mismatched one, and do the hole thing.

I have rebuilt about 6 of those, and I have 3 sets of them with 1 1/2 N.O.S.

It has been a while, but I think I remember I could take a 1926-27 drive plate and take off some outside of it, and it was a perfect match ???????????????????

Then you wouldn't have to butcher one !

Check it out, Steve, and Steve !

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Herm, I think your rememberer slipped a couple of teeth. The 26-7 driveplate fits inside the brake drum, so its outside diameter is smaller than the drum. To make it work on an early drum it needs to be the same diameter as the drum because the driveplate OD becomes part of the brake drum surface.
Maybe your memory relates to machining some of the width off 26-7 brake drum, and using that and its driveplate on an earlier transmission.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I probably have the drive plate to fit that drum. The question is whether I can find it. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration