Worried about my cork float

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Worried about my cork float
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

cleaning my carburetet,it has the original shellac cover'd float,wondering what today's gas might do to it, I know it can wreck so rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Ethanol in the gasoline may soften or dissolve shellac on an original float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

The cork float in my Dodge fuel gauge sank like a rock. I had to get a brass float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I was afraid of that,darn LANG'S HERE I COME.thank's guy's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

After the float has had plenty of time to dry out, seal it with "hot fuel proof model airplane dope".

Two cycle model airplanes engines run alcohol fuel with a significant fraction of nitromethane added. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Mark, is that stuff still available ? I used it over 50 years ago to seal carb floats. Should be ideal for the purpose !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

I think so, although I've been away from the hobby for a long time.

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Dopes--Finishes-425

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Konarowski on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

You can also buy nitrophly from Restoration Supply and carve your own float page 20 https://www.restorationstuff.com/pdf/RestorationSupplyCompany.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Kwik poly or paint it with seals all
But let it dry out first

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 07:48 am:

Be careful how much you use. You don't want to make it too heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Any hobby shop should sell fuel proof dope. I have used it for years, but recently I pulled the G off my 15, and the dope had sloughed off in pieces from the cork. Not sure what happened, but going back with new float.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration