Does anyone make 30x3-1/2 inch knobby tires ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone make 30x3-1/2 inch knobby tires ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

I would like to put a pair of 30x3-1/2 inch knobby tires on the rear of the speedster project. Im pretty sure Coker does not have them in 30x3-1/2 inch size. I have not contacted them yet, but I do not see them in their catalog. So does anyone else make them. ???? or does anyone have a useable pair .??? Thanks .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:02 am:

I have a nos set of 21s on my coupe they are from wards they work great in the snow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Hi Spencer. I have found a few 21 inch knobby tires but no 30x3-1/2 inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Check motorcycle tire sites for knobby tires a lot of dirt track racers use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Are there any metric size tires that are the equivalent of
30 x 3-1/2 ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Donnie

You might just 'make your own'. Those mug boggers and short track guys use tire grooving tools. Get a new set of Universal black wall 30 x 31/2" straight tread, and take them to a mud bogger tire place, and have them groove to make a "knobby" tread :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gALI_fItkl4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Most likely not what you are looking for but I always got a kick out of this TT front tire solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

How do you make a straight beaded motor cycle tire work on a clincher 30" rim ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

You can't. different rim profile for each type of bead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

I looked at vintage motorcycle tires. There are some early motorcycle tires that are clincher. But I have not found any 30x3-1/2 inch. Im starting to think they no longer exist in 30x3-1/2 inch size. Ill probably just buy some Wards Riverside tires later, as the aftermarket tires fit my project theme very well. My spare tire is an original Wards Riverside with the S-3 designation from WW2 era. I like the idea of having my spare be a S-3 tire so I can point it out to people who have never seen one. But the "knobby" tires for the rear, would be neat if I could find them Thanks for the input ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 09:38 am:

If you could find old non skid patterns, that would be good, but tires are likely real bad aged now or worn!

But still think you could have fun with a 'tire grooving tool' and make knobby's from those Wards Riverside, the pattern of those squares could be separated with the tire tool, and make independent knobby treads. Here is my Microsoft paint pen blackout of the rubber between the treads that could be removed to make "knobby tires" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 11:43 am:

The wards riverside grooving idea sounds like the best. But I was wondering if it was possible to vulcanize knobby treads onto smoothed worn out tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Probably not impossible , that's what recaps are (were ?) but a knobby cap probably doesn't exist, nor equipment to recap a 30x3-1/2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

When I first read this post, my first thought was to mention the Wards Riverside tires. I think they are the closed thing currently available to knobbies.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration