OT: Major Milestone today returning the Wurlitzer!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Major Milestone today returning the Wurlitzer!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 02:16 am:

While I realize this has little to do with Model Ts, except for my lack of time to work on mine; today after more than 60 years, organ components were placed in the organ chamber at the Historic Oroville State Theatre (orovillestatetheatre.com). It has been a long pull getting to this point; reconstructing the nearly-demolished chamber, finding an organ to put in the theatre, getting permission and a contract with the city to allow it's installation, fund raising (still ongoing)and there are many more tasks to do (blower install, 2nd chamber completion, uncovering the grill work
(also covered over for 60+ years), etc.)

Chamber before pics

Chamber after

Parts in the chamber

The main pipe chest at the stage door

Raising parts to the chamber door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Great work Dave!! Your post brought this grand organ music to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUv3Ox0E87Q

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 09:32 am:

They used to have a music festival in LA every year that played silent films at the Orpheum Theatre downtown. Since Gaylord Carter died there hasn't been too much of that any more. There is a really good theatre organist named Dennis James, but I imagine he charges a lot of money to play?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 10:04 am:

When I'm in the Los Angeles area I always take in a show at the Old Town Music Hall. It's a small 1919 theater, not a movie palace, but I think the organ is full size. Even when the movie is a talkie, there's also an organ concert.

http://oldtownmusichall.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Whoa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

It's fun to see the progress.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Steve, Yes, that's a special place, lots of fun too! When we went it was still a "one man show." Glad to find out it's still around and functioning. Yes, the organ is full-sized, larger than ours even!
Larry, Dennis moved to New York, or somewhere back there. He also plays the Glass Harmonica!
Gaylord Carter, wow, haven't heard that name in a while! There actually are quite a few talented organists around who can play for silents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I haven't heard of Gaylord Carter since radio days, probably in the 50's. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration