Modern crankshaft seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Modern crankshaft seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

I need the number of a modern crankshaft seal that I can purchase at a local parts supplier, so I will need an Auto Zone, oriellys number please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

From an older post, this may help.

By Gene Carrothers on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:58 pm:
BOB

Here are 3 different seals that will work at the front crank:

1. A C/R #12458
This is the thinest one

2. Chaffin has #3012M which has a very nice design but slightly thicker for 7 or $8.
A NAK #TB-H 1.187 1.828 0.375

3. A National 3438R
This one is a heavier and wider seal.

The method I had to use was to cut and fan outer flat of the seal and install it facing the wrong way because of the clearance issue. This sort of made it look like a daisy but also gave it a lot of surface for the JB weld to grip. I never had a leak there again. You can barely see it and I liked that. The neopreme seals have a spring that applies some slight tension against the surface which provides some longevity to the seal.

The great thing about the seal on the outer surface is that in case you have to remove the front cover it is not locked in place by the crank and oil pan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

John, Let me know if you aren't able to find a seal. Also don't use the JB weld but instead pick up a tube of Permatex ULTRA BLACK gasket adhesive/maker.
Once you use some of that you'll find more uses for it than a Flex Seal commercial on TV!

Make sure you clean off all oil and grease first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Thanks for the info. Iíve used many of them in the past. Just canít read the #ís with old eyes and ultra black smeared all over the one I just took out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration