Old Photo - TT Truck Street Scene, New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - TT Truck Street Scene, New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

You know, I kind of like the curvature of that firewall. Seems to be a little more graceful than the usual square cornered variety that's so common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 12:43 am:

That is a great old NZ pic. Looks like TT is from Mataura [ hard to read] which is way down in south Island. Wonder what the story is with the early 'guards[ fenders] on later chassis or have they repaired with later radiator etc?
I believe those early NZ marked license plates were initially made in the US before being later made here in NZ. Old wood buildings & an old bike, very NZ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Lots of pin stripe too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I always wondered, who would take these pictures and why? For a lot of reasons it's not a particularly good photo, just looks like one taken off the cuff. To put it in modern perspective it would be the same as snapping a picture of a dirty utility van by the side of the road, and as far as aI know nobody is doing that.

I guess it just amazes me that not only did someone actually bother to take the picture but that it survived all these years too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Tim - Might be a case of some young fellow who just landed a new job that involved driving that truck! Even nowadays, a young guy with a job that involves being trusted with the responsibility of driving a "company vehicle" can be a thrilling new experience, but back in the "T" era, when most people were actually more familiar with "horse & wagon" transportation, I imagine a new truck-driving job would have been a very exciting prospect for sure! And, come to think of it, photography was a pretty new and exciting field as well! Any excuse to take a picture, right? Anyway,....whatever,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

I remember getting a job and driving the company truck, mid-60's International pickup but I didn't take a photo of it. Now I would take a photo and be proud to own it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

This photo was taken between mid-1925 and mid-1926.

How do I know that? The registration plate is the first NZ-wide type issued, for the Government year (not fiscal year) 1 July to 30 June. It was a mid-green (almost a mint green) in colour, with white numbers (and NZ letters).

Wayne, you are correct when you say they were made in the USA. But, only the very first issue, because there was an outcry from the locals! "Surely these can be made in New Zealand?" they demanded. For mid-26 to mid-27 onwards they were made in New Zealand.

PS - disclaimer: I am not mad! I do not have a passion for number plates. But the knowledge helps date some photos. (Did I mention that I am not, in fact, mad?)

John Stokes
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

G'day John,

You are not mad !!

Peter

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration