OT Side Mirror Repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Side Mirror Repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, December 14, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

I am looking for someone who can replace the mirror glass in a round side mirror made in the 1930s. The mirror was made by the Rosen company and was probably sold aftermarket for use on cars, though the one I want to repair was original equipment on a biplane. The mirror shell is chrome plated brass, about 3-4" in diameter, and the metal edge was rolled to hold the glass in place. A slightly convex mirror glass was used originally. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Any good glass company should be able to cut you a piece and mount it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:58 am:

A quick unorthodox fix is to stick on a blind spot mirror over the broken one. Have done it, and works well as the older mirror had lost its effectiveness.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/fit-system-4100/body---trim-16771/spot-visor- mirror-17604/blind-spot-mirror/c030/4405345

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 06:41 am:

Mark, I have an amusing story about such a repair, as story which may be of help to you. An acquaintance was fritzing about how to get a mirror lens with badly damaged silvering out of a mirror such as yours without damaging the crimped over edge of the mirror back, and asked me for help. One sharp rap with a hammer had the pieces falling on the floor and nil damage to the mirror back. The look on his face was priceless!

I have the new glasses cut to a neat fit in the mirror back and simply use a bead of black silicone RTV to hold the glass in place and seal the back against moisture intrusion. Good luck finding a convex glass just the right size for your mirror head.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Allan:

I think your solution is the best, if I can find the right convex mirror. I have a wet grinding wheel that was used for stained glass work. I will try to grind the edges to make a glass that will almost snap in place. Hopefully the silver will stay nice at the edge through the process.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration