'Spare' mounting angle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 'Spare' mounting angle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 02:09 am:

Not wanting to hijack another's thread, I do have a curiosity question. I am still puzzled to the correct mounting angle of the rear spare. The still-to-be-straightened 21" carrier I have is for the '25 coupe. But, is the spare (when mounted on the carrier) supposed to be tipped back, vertical, or tipped forward? Pictures I've seen have shown all three versions, even on coupes, so I dunno... Is it just personal preference, or what? Aesthetically, the vertical position looks most appropriate to me. Thanks.

Meanwhile....
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:06 am:

The original owner of my '19 Touring "upgraded" to split rim demountables at some point. After purchasing the car and rebuilding I decided to cobble up a rear spare mount by taking the appropriate rear mount for demountables that bolts up to the rear spring U bolts, cutting it near the base, and welding back up making the tire sit closer to the rear of the touring and where the mounted spare is at the same angle as the rear panel. My choice and it looks original to the uninformed! :-) This mount must have originally not been for a Touring as the
Tire would have been mounted way too far rearward from the back wall of the '19

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Would stick with period photos of rather new T's and note the spare carrier always tips rearward.

Clears the different bodies on the assembly line, and allows easy access to the rear deck lid too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration