Help with a question - Ford produced 15 million...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help with a question - Ford produced 15 million...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:37 am:

There has been some discussion on the number of FMC produced Model Ts surviving. The number given for production is 15 million and it appears to be based on the serial number of the motor.

My question how many motors did FMC produce ? When a car is registered for operation it is generally accepted to use the motor production number to register and date the car. But Ford had an engine replacement program. Ford suggested that if an engine was replaced a set of steel stamps were available to number the replacement motor with the number found on the cars original engine.

Were all engines produced or engine blocks produced given a stamped production number?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:41 am:

I have a Ford replacement engine in my 14. It is a 19-21 but carries the original Sept 14 number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:52 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:15 am:

This is for discussion not argument...

An assembled car of today whether speedster or coupe could carry a title as being a Model T with a construction date of 1941 (15176888 1941).

If the question is asked how many Model Ts were produced one could say that 15,000,000 were assembled May 26, 1927.

Finally, the total of Model Ts produced at the year end of December 1927, last year for the Model T, was 15076231.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:19 am:

While the last engine, assembled August 4, 1941, was number 15176888, if you count all the replacement blocks sold without serial numbers there would be thousands more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:44 am:

reading the question how many engines did ford real'y build,that,I think,is about as possible as how many gallons of water in lake superior.I think it would be fun to see if every person that is lucky enough to have a model t living with them,to list there engine serial number here to perhaps tell where they were shipped back in the day,or how close is my number 5010403,to say a car located??In Alabama.I know a true count will be next to Impossible,however wouldnt it be fun to know where your t's brother or sister is now living. and what body style it is,my t is now a pickup,body was destroy'd in a building collapse,in 1938.I know over the years things get changed over but the numbers should be the same,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:46 am:

What about all the Canadian C engines.
Then there is the English cars which initially used number from Detroit but then I understand started their own numbering system. Did other plants anywhere else do this?

If we get down to details, there were blocks missed in the early teens. Also I would not discount there being some duplicates. I know that an English company has duplicate numbers of about 250 cars during the early 1960s. Iím sure that Ford was not immune to these clerical errors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Some of the engines not put in Model T's were used in boats and irrigation situations.
PS- The original engine in my '19 ended up with a huge piece blown out when it was pressure washed before rebuild. I advertised for a replacement block to have rebuilt here on the forum and the first reply was for a block produced 18
days after my original block. What luck on my part !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Well, 1918 the US Army had orders for Model Ts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

I was thinking more of the cars that are within the good ole USA, where some cars migrated too, like, hey Fred,! from east over shoe, your engine number is just six from my number,here in Vermont,and how they ended up where they now live, the year will automatically fall in to place.this will also clear up the engines that are in a donor chassis,it will be neat to know they are still ticking along.even if there not in the surrounding's they were born into, I'm JUNE 1921 #5010403.HOME BUILT PU.yes there were hundreds that have migrated around the world, but those we cant count in this survey.just something think about,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Weren't the last six Model T's built by Ford Motor Company produced in 2001?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

George,

I'm off to a Christmas party. But there is an excellent discussion of the same question at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/355935.html?1366771270

Note on complete engine & transmission assemblies were stamped with an engine number. Replacement engines and blocks did not have a number until they replaced a block and then they were to have that number stamped on the block.

Only the Canadian "C" serial numbers were a different sequence. The others used the USA number that was sent to their plant (country) and was stamped on engines assembled there.

15,000,000 is a conservative number that also included the Ton Trucks.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration