Ballast Resistor question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ballast Resistor question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Im working on a 54 Chevy truck that has been switched over to 12 volt. All the reference I can find on it says it takes a ballast resistor before the breaker points. I wired a ballast resistor (one of those white resistors from the 60's) between the cold side of the coil and the breaker points. I then checked the voltage on each end. On the hot side of the coil it shows as it should 12.84 volts, On the points side it shows the same voltage (12.84v). With the resistor in place shouldn't the voltage to points side be 4 or 5 volts? What am I missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Or is it the amperage that get reduced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Your voltage should not change the resistor helps to reduce the arcing of the points when they open causing the field to collapse. the truck will run without the ballast resistor but your points won't last as long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I believe that your points were open when you measured the voltage on the point side of the resistor. The resistor should be about 3 ohms and you are correct, about 4 or 5 volts is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Sorry G.R., what you're thinking of is the condenser, it reduces the arcing of the points.

The ballast resistor won't drop the voltage until there is current flowing through the primary circuit, see the attached video link.

In addition, most cars with ballast resistors have a bypass circuit that routes full voltage to the coil when the key is in "start". When the key is released back to the "run" position, current to the coil goes through the ballast resistor and the voltage to the coil is dropped. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGImZ1zNV58

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Mark, Am I correct that I put the ballast between the coil and the points or should it be on the hot side of the coil and the cold side goes direct to the points?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Yes, put the ballast resistor in the circuit between the ignition switch and the input side of the coil.

By the way, here is a quick tip about which side is the "output" side of the coil.

The output side of the coil (the side with the wire that goes to the distributor) should match the ground polarity of your car.

For instance, if you have a negative ground car, the wire to the distributor should be connected to the negative side of the coil. The wire from the ballast resistor would then go to the positive side of the coil.

If you have a positive ground car, the wire to the distributor should be connected to the positive side of the coil. The wire from the ballast resistor would then go to the negative side of the coil.

If you wire the coil backwards, the plugs will still fire, but the spark at the spark plug will be going "the wrong way", from the ground strap to the center electrode. This will require more voltage for a successful spark than if the secondary current goes from the center electrode of the spark plug to the ground strap of the spark plug. Why? Because the center electrode runs hotter than the ground strap, so it is easier for the spark to jump from the hot center electrode to the cooler ground strap. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

On the chevies and mopars that I've had the resistor was between the ignition switch and the coil, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Kinda' wonder what might happen if you were to "accidentally" and "unknowingly" install a new coil that has a built-in ballast resistor, on a car that already has an "external" ballast resistor on the firewall,.....??? Maybe a pretty weak spark, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Yep. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

How long ago was the switch made? Did you check, (if you didn't make the change yourself), if the existing coil had an internal resistor? I ask because if it's been running like that for a while with no external resistor the coil probably already has one. Unless you're replacing points every week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I just picked up this little truck. Its a 1940 with a 54 engine. It already fried the points which is why the change. Its a nice little truck, It stills needs some TLC but Im getting closer. Mark, I went and bought a internal resistor coil for it. The engine bay just didn't look right with that ballast in there. Yesterday it gave me a OH SH%@ moment. I pulled up to an intersection and when I hit the brakes the pedal went to the floor. Fortunley the hand brake did the job. The wheel cylinder blew out in the rear. So now I'm waiting on parts. Going to rebuild the whole brake system so the next time I take it down the road I'm sure it will stop! Oh, Side note, The set of points I bought for it from Auto Zone will only close to 23th. Tomorrow I will pick up a set from NAPA and they should adjust to 19 like the book says. Thank you everyone for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

LIKE! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Oh by the way;
http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
If you have not been there yet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration