Oil Filter - velocity rate?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil Filter - velocity rate?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Burton, SC on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

I just changed the oil in my 21 touring, with 5w-30. It is equipped with the standard screen oil filter you can get from any vendor.
I have seen the oil filter video, and I, myself, have ran the same test.
I am not a mechanic, nor engineer, but I think I see a issue with velocity rate of the oil filter.

My question is about much oil is flowing into the oil filter. I notice without filter, there was a lot of oil going onto the bands. With filter on, the oil was not hitting the bands at the same rate.

If the filter become too full, would it not defeat the purpose?
Does oil filter strain it at proper rate?
Even when oil filter is dirty?

Thank you for your answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Thus the reason to clean the filter often. I clean mine every 100 miles or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

The oil screens have been around a long time and I find them most useful.

Have monitored oil flow and the screen won't impede as lots of oil is caught and flung over the diverter flap to the gears below.

Now that said, I like to improve with larger holes in the flap to be sure there is gobs going into the drums and bands.

Enlarging the tiny hole in the stock screen.

Or at times, lots of other holes in the diverter, to pass the oil. Note the screen does a good job to catch wayward stuff, metal or lining debris.

And the magnet addition is good too, catches metallic debris from engine wear.

Just be sure to clean the screen and magnet each oil change at 500-750 miles :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

When that style of accessory screen came out many years ago, the sieve size of the screen was considerably larger than the current production. IMO, the current screens restrict too much, especially if not cleaned of debris regularly, resulting in pooling back at the 4th main and possibly being the source (one of many) of a leak.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration