And ,Where is Burger?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: And ,Where is Burger?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I am waiting for the TT tour of his hills and country side...... "Henry Samuel" (see Profile}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

I don't know but I miss him. !o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Over at Royce's site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

He got kicked off for making jokes certain people didn't get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

I hate to hear,uh,read that. I thought he was alot fun and no one had to wonder how he felt. That is a name I must admit I haven't noticed lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Not necessarily kicked off (unless I'm way wrong) but more badgered away. His profile lives yet, the last time I checked. Cool pic.
He caught it enough times in the chin from one of the regulars that didn't understand him nor his style and bolted.
And he is one tough hombre'.
He is over there. Look for Raoul Von S. (sp?). :-)
I miss his take on a lot of subjects too. Irreverent like that Irish writer Oscar something or other. ;-)
An interesting man.
Dennis Seth is another shameful loss from this site. Badgered out.
If I may, and if you read this, I'm glad to see Charlie from Liberal back here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Perhaps his incendiary style, vulgarness and name calling wore out his welcome?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 02:28 am:

No, Burger was kicked off. I know Burger pretty well. I consider him a friend. What most people don't understand, is that virtually every word out of Burger's mouth is a joke. At the beginning of Burger's posting on this forum, I counseled him to lighten up, as inflection and nuance are lost in a written post. I suggested emoticons, which he did begin to use sparingly, but his attitude seemed to be "f--- 'em if they can't take a joke." That rubbed a few thin-skinned people the wrong way.

Burger is an interesting fellow, but he is not evil. He is honest, he is helpful and he is giving, but he is opinionated and he ain't milquetoast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 03:18 am:

I know “ Da Burger “

We have shared a few meals - he is good man with a good heart - I consider him a friend.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Burgers take on subjects, were, well, his take and one could leave or take them. When he would continue his virulent attacks on anyone who enjoyed a car show or bright shiny paint, that is another story. If he left those out of his script, he would have been tolerable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I must admit I missed Dennis Seth, but he is defiantly back under another name. His posts consistently make me laugh outloud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:27 am:

My husband and I both read the forum on a daily basis. Our 6 year old grandson is reading now (he was looking at Langs catalogs at age 2) and looks at it with us when he is here. I for one thought that some of Burger's comments were disgusting. Yes, I know you'll have those that say "just don't read his"! Well its hard as you're scrolling on a post that you're interested in, to avoid his comments, as he posted on so many. I can take a joke, but come on, you have to admit some of it was down right disgusting. The Model T is a family hobby, and so is this forum, at least in our home. Some of his comments were crude even for bar-room talk. He did have some good insights once and awhile, but his nasty comments overshadowed them. Ellen Killecut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Dan and Ellen: You said it best. Thanks for speaking up and Happy Christmas, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Model T people are like Model T’s.
They would be very dull if there was not a bit of color.

I wish some would stop getting their knickers in a wad and enjoy. Just saying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Fred, you may have missed the post by Ellen Killecut, Dan's wife @ 9:27. She was spot on. There is "color" and there was the B word's idea of color. And my knickers are certainly not in a wad.

Agreed, Dennis is still posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Here's my Two Cents. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:31 am:

My 2˘ is (are?) older.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Steve, Unfortunately mine are zinc! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:45 am:

A picture is worth 1,000 words and i think as the picture suggest one's two cents is usually worth more if it is aged!Bud. ps,The snow is pushed and the corn stove is working well! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Fred,
As much as I dislike disagreeing with a fellow chocolate chip cookie lover, I disagree with you....Ellen speaks for me, also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Always a tough crowd in the cheap seats. Need to have an environment more like that Seabee unofficial motto...”Semper Gumby”.

Still the best danged place anywhere to get and exchange information on T’s. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I always felt honesty is the best policy. Like a former boss of mine taught me... "If they don't like what they hear, then it's a personal problem"...no truer words were spoken. Burger just told it like it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Moreover, there were plenty of posters more than willing to "poke the bear" who exceeded the bounds of civility responding to him. They, however, were not banned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I agree with Tim. Too much has been focused on being 'Politically Correct', and the belief of everyone should receive a participation trophy... Seemed to me that Burger would just call a spade "A G.D. shovel" if THAT is what it was/is! You didn't have to guess where he stood, or where he was coming from. He's just been straight-forward honest! (To both you AND himself!!)

Meanwhile....
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

And this misguided concern about the children gets me pretty riled. Kids hear a lot worse language at school than they ever hear around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

I raised kids, and the schools are terrible. The constant trash exposure must be balanced at home with decent, moral guidance or your children will join the scum of the earth. Misguided? No. Doing the RIGHT THING for your children is NEVER misguided. NOT DEBATABLE. Thanks all, have a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Listen, this is my opinion! I don't want to read about eating fecal matter among other nasty words, when reading the forum. Everyone on here is very respectful as far as comments.

On another note! We are not one's to be politically correct at all. I do speak my mind. I can get my point across without talking trash.

Yes, this forum is a great place!

Richard, Kids might hear a lot worse in school, but to this day my older children do not curse in front us ever. It is called being taught respect. I would like to pass right from wrong onto our grandchildren.

Respectfully,
Ellen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Well said!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Exactly. As my dear departed Dad cautioned me, "Son, don't swear. It sounds like hell and doesn't do a damn bit of good. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

I agree with Ellen. There is no need to be anything less than polite on the Forum.

Thank you Ellen for saying what needed to be said.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Agreed! The definition of 'Tact': "The ability to step on someone's toes without harming the shine." (or) "Telling someone to 'Go to Hell', and have them be happy to be on their way!"

Meanwhile....
Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Thank you Ellen. Yes, us wives and our children and grandchildren read this forum and who knows what other people drop by. Explaining model t prejudices is one thing and is part of the forum. Explaining personal comments and barbs is not
Erica McIntyre

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Sometimes we forget, some of us more than others, that there are a lot more people reading the forum than those who post. Those readers include young folks who deserve a good example. Another fact sometimes forgotten is that it's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

One of the major problems with communicating by posting is that the reader does not see the twinkle in the eye, or the slightly upturned end of the lips, etc. etc. So oftentimes an "odd remark" is totally misunderstood. When we were first married, it took my wife a while to catch onto my Dad's dry humor; he could ALMOST straight-face a humorous statement. One of his sayings (a Spoonerism) was, "you can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water."
Yes, miss some of these folks, but one does have to mind his/her Ps and Qs 'round these parts.
Now about that engine oil. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

No reason to get long winded about this as I agree with most of the "cleaner/saner" posts. If he actually got dumped he probably deserved it. He doesn't stick in my mind the way one other who left under his own steam but as I said he probably deserved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

You are correct to remind me of this being a family forum and sometimes I push the envelope so I am sorry to anyone one who I have offended.

Often times on the forum
Some silly things I write,
And sometimes a little naughty
posted with little foresight,

I forget about family
But am reminded again,
Because I think the forum,
Is just crusty old men,

So pardon my error
My goofy mistake,
To clean up my posts
This promise I'll make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Lots of righteous indignation over a guy who's been gone for months and is unlikely ever to return. Meanwhile, I'd say the "bikini lady cranking a T" thread has veered rather far from wholesome family values and there's no objection . . . ?!? Curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Rich,

The Cyber World is not the Reality most of us live in.

I wonder how many folks posting comments have ever actually MET Burger in person ?

I wanted to meet him because he is opinionated - I don’t agree with everything he posted but I find him fascinating.

The first time we met was over a good Thai lunch not far from his home - he told me a story of his brother driving practically cross country from Washington to Hershey towing a trailer with a friend - I was literally on the floor crying from laughing so hard - all the while he kept a straight face - it was the screenplay to “ Planes - Trains - Automobiles “ ( Steve Martin & John Candy ).

He then took me by his house to see his many ongoing projects & his extensive insulator collection.

I left with a sense of utmost respect for Burger.

I make it a point to visit him whenever I pass thru Spokane if he is not busy working - one of the many ongoing good deeds he does is employing Vets ( Marines he favors ).

You have a Merry Christmas ....... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

I hope this thread also goes away as it will only divide. If the MTFCA chose removal I support that action as it would have been based on damage to the organization.

Banishment is both earned and volunteered for because of offensive or aberrant behavior that the MTFCA does not represent or exist for.

I have seen this happen very few time but always thought the poster was pushing it way over the line just to see how far they could go...then found out where that line was.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I suppose if he was causing issues he was warned and given a chance to "straighten up" before he was shipped out right?
If the decision was made by folks in power,then so be it ,it must have warranted it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I've been running the forum at the 54 Ford Club of America website since 2004. We simply don't allow nastiness or anything personal.

We're all about getting and keeping our cars on the road.

If anyone wants to veer off into vulgarity or personal attacks, they're warned once, then removed. In all these years however, that's only happened twice.

The way I see it, there's so much ugliness in the world, our old car stuff should be a happy, positive thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Heck i figured he went for a ride around the block in his TT
sad fair skinned folks here yes he was a character
But was helpful as well.
Im not a moderator here so whos here or not is not my call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis D.W. VanGorder on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

I don't post but I read this forum daily. I would tend to agree with Rich Bingham & Freighter Jim.
I miss Burger's posts.
My kids are 12, 10 & 7, I read them funny things & other's stories from the forum. I would not read them (or let them read) anything off the interwebs without 1st reading it myself. The "bikini lady cranking a T" is a PERFECT example. I enjoy the thread but would not let my kids see that 1.
I have a lot of respect for someone who calls it as they see it instead of trying to be "correct". It's my job to be my children's filter, not the interwebs.
Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:29 am:

Anyone posting here serve recently in Afghanistan- Pakistan - Iraq either as enlisted or as a civilian contractor ?

Burger did - as a civilian contractor.

I never was in the military or served as a civilian contractor during war time.

I ascribed much of Burger’s candor & absence of tactfulness to his time embedded in a war zone - he earned that much in my opinion.

When I meet Model T folks & the subject comes up of “ personalities “ - this is my take on things ....

We are all One Big Dysfunctional Family at the dinner table.

All of us - myself being numero uno - have issues .....

None among us walks on water.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut. Think ill do that now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Unlike Burger King you cant always have it your way. This is a great site and I have the utmost respect for most here. A few like to stir the pot bot I just leave the lid on those.
Drive safe and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:19 am:

I didn't know Burger was banned...too bad really, I always thought him eloquently funny and to the point of whatever topic we're on...I for one (I dare say not the only one either) will miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Good advice Hal....my Drill Instructor had a good saying...one I've tried to implement since then.

"Never miss a good opportunity to shut up"

He put it a bit more colorfully than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Me to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:40 am:

To sum this all up, it comes down to one word - RESPECT. Can we have self respect and show one another respect? I'm not smart enough to be able to answer this question but try to daily.

Thank you to all who have served in the Military, Law Enforcement, as First Responders and those in their support.

Merry Christmas, respectfully :-)
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Burger was like the Howard Stern of the forum, I always read his posts, I couldnt wait to see what he would write next. Interesting guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

"Kids hear a lot worse language at school than they ever hear around here.

Probably true.

And with all due respect to someone who I believe has had more birthdays than I, therefore respect is given, I can remember my schooldays when such language was not tolerated. Also, there was not the internet where trash talk was broadcast around the world - there was an air of decency and respect, and "responsibility of one's actions". Sure, we played "cowboys and Indians" and "cops and robbers" with sticks, not bullets. No one was killed. Today we seem to be on a slippery slope of degrading all things related to life.

Words of encouragement have been written as to how to get more young people interested in our hobby. There are few that are so inclined, and when you turn this informative venue into something that decent folk avoid, you are furthering the dwindling audience.

Can't we be decent, thoughtful, caring people and consider our audience? We are NOT a bunch of dirty old men cussing and swearing and drinking strong spirits....we are a family of all ages and genders. Can we not ask for anything that we would not ask of our Mothers and/or Fathers, as the most responsible person in our homes?

We owe our Freedom to those who fought and died for that cause. I admire and respect them for the sacrifices they made. Still, when one survives a serious operation (heart, lung, liver transplant, etc.), the Doctor does not regale us with all the gory details of the spilled blood and guts. Decency in life will make us all better humans.

Is it possible for us to converse like the family we are? Young and old, boy, girl, adolescent, adult, senior - we all read these words...do YOU want to be part of the small percent that makes this world better. or are you content to be one of those dragging humanity to the basement? Some of our Military gave their lives to let us have this choice.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Dave: Well stated and true. Thanks, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Thank you Dave! And Ellen too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I quit reading Burger's post's a long time ago and didn't realize that he was gone.
I realized right away that he was a sewer mouth.
I do miss Royce and his analysis of the brass cars that come up on the classified's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Burger never "told it like it was". Joking or not the guy came off rude, crude, belligerent and down right negative. Apparently the powers to be shared the same opinion as I and others- his removal was deserved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Amen John Cox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I'm reminded of a Spanish proverb : When you point a finger at someone, three point back at yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I give up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Thank you, Tim. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:22 am:

I am a fan of tact, humility and common decency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Goodbye summer, hello Cabin Fever. I love my water pump and oak spoke wheels!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Hi Jay,

Yes, I knew that it would be coming and yet I did not expect it to arrive this early. Heavy sigh.

Winter, with it's cold temperatures and snow brings to an end antique car driving for many of us. A dearth of Model T "seat time" really DOES negatively affect most of us. I confess that if I go too long without a dose of T driving or "road therapy" I suffer and can (will?) veer off into the weeds.

To combat and stave off the vile effects of dreaded Cabin Fever I do drive my T during the winter. Sure the road salt is a nasty hazard to be avoided and I am selective in when I take to the roads. I won't go out when the roads are white with salt and I won't drive in a raging snow storm, but I do get the T out. Lord knows that I need "the treatment". Also, there is a car wash with the drive-in stall and hose wand less than a mile from my house which I can utilize if the car appears too salty.

So, stalwart Model T'ers, get your car out if you can; your mental health will benefit and our tolerance of you will increase. Be careful and have fun out there, Bill

(Message edited by bharper on December 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

One good thing about snow is it does not burn well!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Be careful out thee Bill....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration