Quick release tool box. A work in progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Quick release tool box. A work in progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Thru a generous gift from a club member I now have a tool box. Rather not trying to drill holes in the running board if I can, I'm trying something like magnets. This is a test that may not work. Pros- I can remove it to go on another car if I happen to get another one. Cons- so can someone else. It seems to stick on pretty well, Pros- I have to use a little effort to pick it up. Cons- if it's full of stuff, will inertia overcome the pull of the magnets. Anyone else tried something like this?. Checked the search on the forum and google but not much info on quick release toolbox. The magnets was not a huge investment, so if this a fail, a bolting on we will go.model t picsmodel t picsmodel t picsmodel t pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Is it possible to move them inward a little so that they donít show?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Carl,

Nice idea. May I suggest that you glue a piece of felt cloth on the bottom of the magnets so they don't scratch your running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I too have a box that was given to me by a good friend. I'm confused about the questions about mounting the boxes. The existing holes in mine lined up with the front running board mounting bolts so I assumed that's the usual way of mounting. I suppose if someone wants to mount them in another spot then the decision to drill or not to drill has to be made. Using the running board mounting bolt holes put mine right by the non-existing drivers door. I am reluctant to drill holes in my 96 year old, solid-as-a-rock running boards so mine only mounts with two bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Make two of these from stout bar stock. The top holes are for attaching the box, one bracket on each end .. the holes lining up with the ones that came with the box.

The lower holes are threaded to allow L shaped clamps to come up from underneath much like a running board luggage rack.

Bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Some folks take the running board clamps from an accordion luggage rack and bolt them to the bottom of a toolbox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

The magnets line up with the holes in the tool box.Unfortunately they don't match any fender bolts. So it won't bolt to running board using existing bolts or holes, so like -rats. The bar stock looks like something, Just a matter of bending it in a vise I'm guessing right? I agree, they do stick more than I would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

I made clamps similar to what Mark's drawing shows, but I used 1" channel.

I made another pair for running board cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Steve, How did you make the bend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:17 am:

My guess, a little heat and bending over a mold of some sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 06:25 am:

An alternative to drilling holes in running boards or making metal clamps which may or many not shift/scratch paintwork, is to bolt a timber base plate to the running board using longer running board mounting bolts and simply screwing the toolbox to the base plate. The whole thing is easily reversible and causes no damage whatsoever.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Hey Steve, and here I thought I came up with something new. Great to see the real thing when all I had was a sketch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Great ideas guys! I too need to mount a tool box to a 27 Tudor and as Mark told me earlier to raise the box so no water (rust) can get under it. Allen I might try your idea with wood as it can give me more flexibility in moving the box around for easier entry and exit of the T. Iím thinking driverís side because passenger side more people use to get in the back seat. Any thoughts on which side is best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:02 am:

I have some pieces of 1" steel I got from a scrap yard for weights years ago. One of those with a 1/8" flat clamped on was a good stand-in for a running board.

Strips of inner tube for pads.

No scratches to the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I put mine on the passenger side (away from traffic). The gas cans ride on the driver's side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Man, Steve sure can come up with some really neat idea's, this is "good stuff", THANKS Steve !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I liked Carl's idea also, but I would have put the magnets closer inward so they are not seen, but still a darn good idea. Steve's approach seems more solid and secure. Good stuff guys !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I don't have faith the magnets will hold a loaded toolbox on the diamond tread when the car is in motion. I hope Carl will opt for any of the workable options posted here, rather than lose his toolkit on the road, possibly to have it ruined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Steve, do the inner tubes have to be Model T to keep it period correct? It may also keep the Forum Police off your back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Find some of the red ones. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Thanks Steve. Looks like a nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Yea! Thanks Steve! Looks good with the tubes for padding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Damn "self appointed FORUM POLICE", trouble is too many wanna-be "Chiefs" and not enough "Indians", right Dean ???

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration