Windshield Wiper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Windshield Wiper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

I rediscovered this windshield wiper in a box of parts that came with my 1924 Coupe.

Is this a proper wiper for a Model T?

Can you get replacement blades?

Iíve secured it to the windshield and see the little lever for manually moving the blade, but the body of this thing suggests it was more than just a manual wiper. Does anyone know anything about these wipers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I bought a complete wiper set-up off ebay today for my '21 Touring. I am sure it will need a new blade. They are listed in Lang's catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

I think yours is vacuum operated. Weak and slow.But it did work back in the day i guess.
Monday I ordered parts from Snyders and Smith and Jones and the wiper blade from Snyders is T-7801-BL $4.95
I ask a question or 2 about my manual 1 on my pickup body thread and I hoping to understand more about how it mounts shortly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

When I bought my 1925 Tudor it had a FOLBERTH automatic windshield cleaner installed. The vacuum motor looks similar to the example posted, but there are some differences.

My motor has FOLBERTH in large raised letters with Automatic Windshield Cleaner in smaller letters along the main body, under that is the patent no. and a 1922 date. After doing a little research I found out that William Folberth was bought out by TRICO shortly after receiving his patent. From that point until the mid 40's, maybe longer, this style, when manufactured by TRICO, used the TRICO-FOLBERTH name.

I have no way of knowing for sure when this motor was installed, but it looked like it had been disconnected for years. There was a small brass pipe about 1" long threaded into the intake manifold just below the where the Y branches out. I don't drive the car in the rain, but I wanted the motor to be operational so I reconditioned the motor, ran some vacuum hose and it works (operates) just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Our old 1941 Plymouth had vacuum wipers. They're like magneto headlights, at their worst when you need them most. When electric wipers came into use after the war they were a big improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Hard to believe American Motors was still using vacuum wipers into the early 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 02:57 am:

Ha, ha,.... yes, I can well remember what a hard decision it was, when "growling" up a long hill in second gear, in the pouring rain, whether or not to let up on the accelerator pedal just for that "instant" it would take to let those horrible vacuum wipers make just one badly needed swipe! And when you absolutely couldn't stand driving blind any longer, how much speed you'd lose, just backing off long enough for that one "swipe"! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 03:00 am:

Steve - There was a time, many years ago, when, in my opinion, of "the big three", Chrysler had the best engineering, and electric wipers was an example of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:58 am:

I was lucky, my 53 chÄvy had 3 on the tree. You would get a swipe or two during the shift to the next gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:46 am:

A few of the higher price cars had a vacuum pump built into the fuel pump to make the wipers work steadly and I recall a mall vacuum tank on some cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:26 am:

My F2 1948 Ford has vacuum wipers. I think the trucks at least had them into the 50's. Some of the higher end Model A's had electric wipers like the 4 doors in at least 1929 and 1930.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration