Old Photo - Have Fun With A Ford Advertisment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Have Fun With A Ford Advertisment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, December 15, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Hah! I KNEW that they were never a Doctor's Coupe.

They are the Figure Skater's Coupe!

And here is the Ice Harvester's Runabout:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 07:09 am:

I think she fell on the ice and sprained her ankle. "Pay while you play" is referring to her. That could be the doctor tending to her injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Great ad

And 93 years later she comes forward to the press and states he fondled her leg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Ford ads had particularly delightful artwork. I've seen several but not this one.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:35 am:

But are the tires white or grey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:38 am:

This sounds like a pay for play scheme... we may need to look into this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Perry Perry Perry. :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Perry I was thinking the same exact thing! Funny how news makes us think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:15 am:

The Model T era coincided with the height of commercial illustration that produced a wealth of great artists in this country from Howard Pyle, NC Wyeth, Norman Rockwell, and scores of others equally brilliant from the 1890s through the 1960s. Peter Helck is another whose paintings and illustrations of antique car subjects were widely appreciated by the collector car community from the early 50s through the 70s.

The ad for a finance concern is a little strange for "Ford fun". I recall that Henry hated the idea of installment buying, and personally opposed it vigorously. This ad is one of the finest !!
Thank you much for posting it Jay !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Note that is not a Ford Motor Company advertisement. It is one for the National Bond and Investment Company. As Rich mentioned above Henry Ford hated the idea of time payments. I did not have nay success using Google to figure out when Ford Motor Company introduced time payments for their cars or when General Motors introduced time payments for their cars. From memory (not as good a references) one of several reasons (others were yearly style changes, paint colors, etc) GM and Chevrolet in particular continued to gain sales and Ford lost sales over time was the ability to purchase a Chevrolet with a down payment and being able to drive the car while still making additional monthly payments. Ford introduced a sort-of layaway plan where the customer could put down money and make weekly or monthly payments and after the car was paid for -- then take delivery of the car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Interesting, this aside to the "philosophy" of easy credit and living off the cuff. Early on, the Packard Motor Car Co. promoted installment buying, urging their customers to "purchase the car out of income, rather than out of capital". Interesting, since I'd reckon the majority of Packard's clientele at the time was far more likely to be able to buy a car outright than Ford's targeted market - on the other hand, I'm sure part of Henry's plan was to make the Model T cheap enough that a common person could buy it outright - after all, a Packard generally cost ten times and more what a T cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Incidentally, a search for J.W. Pondicek turned up another ad by him for this finance outfit titled "Mother Needs A Ford".
Equally charming ! I'm sorry I don't have the 'puter skills to post it or a link, but it's worth looking up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Rich -- thank you for the lead -- I was able to find 2 different sites that are offering the posters for sale. The image below was copied from: https://www.art.com/gallery/id--a80392/j-w-pondelicek-posters.htm and is available for purchase from them.

I still hope to locate the official Ford Motor Company Layaway like plan and how it compared to GM's plan -- but I need to do some work first.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration