First call for another batch of galvanized rims in Houston.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First call for another batch of galvanized rims in Houston.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Hi, first call for doing a batch of hot dip galvanized rims in the Houston area. These will not be clear zinc plated they will be hot dipped which is not original correct but close enough for many and seems better than silver painting. Last year the prices for doing up to 600 lbs was $300 + $75 for sand blasting 5 day turn around. Cost to each person is $375 or what it is this year divided by the total number of rims = cost each rim times how many rims you put in. Let me know if interested we will probably do this sometime in January.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:04 am:

Hot dip is better than electroplating. If I remember correctly clincher rims weigh about ten pounds. If you can do sixty at a time, that works out to $6.25 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Oh man. I gotta find a way to ship to Texas. I'd like to have 4 done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:42 am:

John, there's a Valmont galvanizing plant near you in the Chicago area. Maybe you could get a bunch of Model T folks up your way to come up with enough rims to bring down the cost per piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

I found a box, shipping estimate is $50 one way. Ignacio, would you be willing to repackage and ship back to me?

Second question, how do they mark the rims so I get mine back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:42 am:

Ignacio and I went together this year to do some. I couldn't take all mine off of the two cars that I have because I didn't want to put them on blocks in case I needed to move them. I will be joining with Ignacio on this next batch to do my remaining rims. The 21" split rims in the picture he posted above are mine. His were the clincher rims.

John, I don't know where you got your shipping estimate, but if it wasn't from Fastenall, check with them. If need be, you could ship them to the store near my shop and I'd take them to Ignacio when I take mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:32 am:

I just did a quick estimate on Fedex to get an idea. I will go check with Fastenal, which store should I get a quote to? Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Terry, my photo. All clincher, all mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I actually have 5, forgot about the spare. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Oops, Steve I din't notice that you had posted the picture instead of Ignacio. I skimmed over it too fast and didn't catch your name or the fact that they were all clincher. My apology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Steve's picture looks exactly like the result last time from Southwest Galvanizing. In answer to the shipping questions, this is just a amateur cooperative that worked last time so I did not plan on receiving or shipping which I know little about for something this big just drop off and pick up at my garage in Houston. We can add tags to the rims I am told and hope. Last time we could tell them apart by the style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

John Chady, to answer your question about Fastenal shipping, if you want to send your rims by Fastenal, send them to : Terry Woods at Fastenal Store in Katy, TX. I'll pick them up and deliver to Ignacio when I take mine. When finished, I send them back to you by Fastenal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

To ID your rims you can cut pieces of plumber's tape and stamp them to make tags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Its supposed to snow on Thursday night. So after I have my fun in the snow with the T, I will be putting it away for winter repairs. I will get the rims off, tag them and get them ready for shipping.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration