OT - What have you done with your Model K this month.... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - What have you done with your Model K this month.... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:02 am:

OK, time for a K thread. Our K Roadster is at Fawcett Restorations in Canada, having a thorough dismantling, body repair and paint. We're adding a few period correct options such as a mini-alternator, so our GPS and other period correct accessories stay charged. The guys at the restoration shop are also constructing a top along the lines of the Rands Top on the Model K below. We won't add a wimpshield, however will have a roll down windscreen and eventually side curtains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:08 am:

So neat that the car is getting a major make over. Did you discover any major problems with the wood and such?

I don't think the red string will hold up the roof when you start down the road at 55MPH so you may want to do something a little different. :-):-)

This "What did you do to your Model K" thread will only have a handful of folks stating what they did to their K but lots of viewers so please keep us posted on the progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:19 am:

This is going to look nice:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Perry I believe that is the laser beam security system on that K not string. Thanks for the update Rob. Looking forward to more video of that thing flying down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Looking forward to updated pics as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

“Wimpshield”?

On a keyboard the d and p are too far apart for that to be a typo!

A good one. I’ll have to remember that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Rob,

As Dallas mentioned -- there probably won't be 50 different posters sharing what they did on their Ford Model K, but it is fascinating to see the close ups of areas could never see with the body fitted or the hood down etc.

Just a thought, if you can place a ruler or yard stick etc. in some of the photos it would allow someone to one day better estimate distances and sizes etc. And cut to the chase scene -- the forum probably doesn't want a 1000 photos of a K posted showing minute areas with a ruler. But I think a CD or two with lots of those types of photos would be a great historical information to the Bruce McCalley Library and Research Center. I don't believe they exist anywhere else at the moment. And someday -- hopefully we can add some of the actual factory drawings from the Benson Ford Archives. Just a thought.

It is also fascinating to see how similar the construction ideas were between some of the "K" parts and some of the N, R, S, & SR parts. The steering wheel and planetary steering gear set below the steering wheel with the K being a larger more robust version. The open transmission.

Some where on one of the computers I have a photo of a reproduction later N & S seat. Without the upholster, that photo shows the placement and design of the body irons/top brackets that the top buggy rail bolts onto. From memory it is a very similar set up and design to what is shown on your K front seat. They come up over the top of the seat like your K. Your early 1906 Model N body had the body/top irons that came out through the back of the seats. But that was discontinued when the later style Model N body was introduced (sometime in late 1906 or sometime during 1907.
The Model R Body had the body/top irons that came up over the top of the seats. I don't know how much overlap there was when the earlier style N was still being produced along with the new style used on the R. But at some point probably late 1906 or early 1907 the N also went to that style. And all the N, R, S, and SR used that style). It may have been standard body building practice for many of the other car companies back in that 1906-1910 time frame?

Again thank you so much for sharing the photos and update.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Rob, That Model K is one impressive piece of automotive machinery! Best of luck with the restoration and the “period correct options”. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

How nice to see inside that Monster. It's always a great contrast to our T's.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Thanks for the update and pictures, Rob. We all enjoy seeing the "bones" of the K and your restoration progress.

Just wondering, but when finished will it have the single "Mother - in - Law" type seat, or the double Tour-about style? Also, it looks like the top will only be over the front seat, right?

Thanks,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

I haven't done much on my K this week. I'm still waiting fro Santa to bring it to me. One thing's for sure, if he brings one, it won't be a garage queen. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Well, I for one, would not mind seeing about a thousand photos of the details and construction of the car! And, yes, rulers and yard sticks (even meter sticks?) in a lot of the photos would help with perspective. It took me a few seconds to realize I was looking at the firewall (upside-down) and not something to do with a seat bottom.
I expect come this spring, you will have not only the fastest K in the land? But also the sharpest looking model K.

Fantastic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Rob -- Glad to see that you're going to have the body be as nice as Dean's engine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

After all the years that I would stop and peer through the windows at it in its former location, it is so neat to get a closer look. Thanks for keeping us up to date on it’s progress. Couldn’t have a better home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Rob, As fast as the Model K can go, do you think a roll up rear curtain would be a good idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

I remember watching the other K get took apart and put back. I can't help but think I would be to busy driving it to want to make it so pretty that I would be scared to for scratching it.

In regards to the 12 volts, You would think on that car there would be a pulley or a gear large enough to install a Briggs and Stratton alternator setup UNDER it,so it would not be visible to the naked eye. a couple magnets going around a coil and a small square regulator. Requires very little hp from the engine to operate,just needs about 2000 rpm to put out good. Just getting the magnets to adhere to something would the hardest part.Mounted with bolts probably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Hello Rob:
I like this top design with this model. Does this top have a fabric liner? Lighter shade of the landau bars suggest these may be polished brass? Really like the unique windshield and supports. Curious how that mechanism works? Looks like there are sliding support bars that travel with the top half that maybe lock to maintain the up position?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Rob,

Are you there? ...Hello...Rob?

Did you get stopped at the border and can't get back in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I'll start from the last, and work forward.....

Perry, life has taken it's toll, and I'm not on the forum as much as I used to be (for better or worse).

Scott, I presume the original Rands top shown had a liner. I've had liners put on our 1906 N, 1909 T and 1907 K touring car. I think I'll forego it on this Roadster for a few reasons. It appears when looking at ads, tops could be purchased either way (lined with a small premium). This K Roadster will be for driving, and a liner is just one more thing to be pinched, snagged and dealt with when folding or driving with the top up. My intent is to have an all weather car that can be buttoned up and driven comfortable in any Nebraska weather.

Mack, my idea about the small alternator is to run it off the flywheel (back of the engine), bolted to the frame. This is where other K owners have placed their starters, out of sight. I don't think this will take much, and I'm using a micro-althernator that isn't very large and should be well concealed. I drove my cars throughout the winter, with or without tops, and this will be my first winter without driving a K in the snow for several years. Hopefully it'll be the last for several years. I will drive our K more, not less, once it's finished.

Thomas, Yes, it will have a roll up window, just as an early T and our N and K touring had. If the weather is good enough for the back window to be rolled up, I hope to leave the entire top off anyway....

Dan B., thank you. We know the first owner of this car, to today, and this Model K has an incredible history. Interestingly, it was the second K the original owner had, after their first was destroyed in a garage fire in Rhode Island.

Mike W., Thanks. Dean got this K on the road (along with MIke Bender, the K engine rebuilding king...), and now we're ready for the next phase, bringing the body and running gear back to factory standards.

Wayne, Thank you. It's always nice to hear from you. We will have the fastest K on the road, as we are adding an overdrive (don't worry, we're shelving the original torque tube). We should be able to comfortable cruise around 55 - 60 mph on. Nebraska's flat roads all day.

Eric, It's always good to "believe." You may want to watch Polar Express a few more times. I know you'll have a great Christmas. I'm looking forward to seeing you again this summer.

Keith, we already have both the double and single (rumble) seats, so the K will be versatile. As expected, the "mother in law" will have to sit in the rain with this top....

Thanks Richard. The K is a monstrous NRS, or obvious predecessor to the Model K. Kind of like the Neanderthal, an evolutionary line that, although having several large, strong features, was not destined to be the primary predecessor to the modern version. Still, like the Neanderthal man, some DNA is still evident in the modern version....

Bob D., thank you for your post. I'ts a pleasure to show off this fire breathing Ford anytime anywhere....

Hap, always good to read your well thought and researched thoughts. I hope all is well with you. I've not spent much time on the forum for just over the last year, and hope to be here ore in the upcoming months.

Gary, It's fun to joke about the "wimpshield." The reality is, anyone Driving a windshield less car over 40 miles an hour for a sustained time wishes for one many times through the year. Now we'll have a top, and roll down windscreen for those times.

I hope you all have a great holiday season.

Merry Christmas.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:22 am:

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.IjT5FbAYjtswpEhbe8tpkwHaHa&w=205&h=205&c=7&ql t=90&o=4&pid=1.7

Rob, you just need a hat like this to go with your goggles and you can drive all year.

Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Dave,
You old Badger...... I'll wear it on tour if you will...
Merry Christmas old friend.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:21 am:

Hi Rob. My alternator fits neat[out of site] up under the oil reservoir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Oh, do you run it on the oiler belt? If so, I wonder if your K has less drag on the belt due to just two oil lines (1906 K) instead of the oiler pumping to eight feeds (each cylinder wall in addition to the front main and u-joint bushing (07-08 K)?
Thanks,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

On "wimpshields," I've always taken umbrage to the term. I've never had any insecurities about my manhood. Having a piece of glass attached to my car to help keep the bugs out of my wife's teeth, doesn't make me a wimp. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Eric,
You have both a "wimpshield" and umbrella....?

Oh, I misread it...... :-)

Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

I like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Rob,
You're incorrigible, but I'm glad your my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Eric,
I know you'll enjoy Christmas with your wonderful family...
Take care and Happy Holidays....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration