Is this #44 ignition switch for a Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this #44 ignition switch for a Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:47 am:

I have what appears to be a Model T ignition switch. The key hole shows ď44.Ē I thought the Model T keys went from 51-74.

Apologies for my ignorance, but is this a switch for a Model T and what key is used with the 44?

Also, I donít have a fuse on my other two Model Tís. What is the fuse for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Not Model T and I believe the fuse protected the ignition circuit - that appears to be the 'hot" wire in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Eric: I have one similar with #42 key. Briggs & Stratton made switchgear for many customers, including Ford. This is not Ford, 44 key is not in Ford inventory, but some of the parts might work in a Ford switch rebuild, that's how I'm using the one I have. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Some of the internal parts and the switch handle might work but the back cover would be missing the terminal for the magneto contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Not Ford but a switch for some other car. It's worth a lot to the guy who needs one for his restoration of the vehicle he's restoring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

If this is a Clum 10491, it is 1926 Star.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

It appears to be a Briggs and Stratton switch.
With that keyway and #44, I think it might be for a 1919-21 Maxwell. I have a key for it, if it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Most likely a #44 is a Clum key. Their numbers go lower than Fords. I have a Clum switch from a 1919 sedan, and it has a #18, and the Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

If you look closely at the photo of the back of the switch, it appears that it is stamped diagonally in the lower right hand corner,

BRIGGS AND STRATTON
MILWAUKEE, WIS
MADE IN USA

I think that these #44 Briggs and Stratton keys for a 1919-21 Maxwell will fit that switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Clum

Clum2

Clum 10421. #84 key.

Mr. Vogel is another source of info for keys for switches.
PM me if needed for Douglas' email. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration