OT - it just ain't the same !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - it just ain't the same !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

OK, I do like my 2011 pickup. In many ways it is an improvement on my old '72 F250, in other ways, annoying as hell with its computerized automatic functions, and if I take up the hood, I haven't a clue as to what I'm looking at, so I leave it alone for the "experts" to deal with. 78,000 miles, no gripes.

Here's the thing - pictures of Model Ts in the snow own a certain beauty and charm. This is the late model under the light snowfall we're getting - frankly, it just leaves me cold.

So, what's the difference ? Many thought the Model T was an ugly little beast back in the day - what's changed ? Let's talk aesthetics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I feel your pain Rich. I prefer my T's to my newer pickup to.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Rich,
Would you re-post your pic of your 1909(?) in the snow next to the barn or shed?
Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Hi Bob. I took several that day but they were plagued with shadows. This may be the best one.
Thanks for remembering.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Rich, I find it really hard to wrap my head around the fact that your pickup is now twelve years older than my first T was when I got it . . . Somehow, even with all the changes, I think of your '65 as a "late model" that's more nearly like my 2011 than a Model T . . . yet, maybe it looks as "antique" to younger generations as the 20's cars did to us when we were kids ? In many ways, at least in external form, cars didn't change in appearance anywhere near as much or as rapidly after introduction of the "envelope body" as they did the first forty years of the 20th century.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Rich, the charm went away with the open fender. Richard, one of my 1st vehicles I bought was a 65 ford pickup with a wood flat bed. Barn door hinges held the hood on. Had to keep carpet pieces on the floor to keep my legs and feet dry. A real farm truck. I bought it from a farmer that parked it behind the barn some years earlier. 100 bucks and it was mine.drove it for a year and sold it for $150. I never made that kind of profit on a vehicle since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Richard,I hope you are still able to drive your F100.Mine,a 66,is getting hard for me to drive because of my hip and shoulder.A trip to the dump 30 miles total puts me in a chair waiting for Tylonals to kick in.
I need to get back on the Slick60's F100 forum and look for pics of how to install the power steering and brakes and get it uplifted to where I can enjoy the truck like I used to. I just really prefer stuff bone stock but it is modify it or sell it,And I put my heart and soul in putting the old truck together back in 01. Just hate to get rid of it. I have the disc brake parts,and the steering box and pump,but the brackets and modifying the steering column is where my questions are for the job.

I just hope the 04 Dodge I bought Thursday holds up for a while.Most expensive vehicle I ever bought but I sold my 78 F350 that needed alot of work and traded my 96 Cadi that was about to need a radiator and other work done and got the cost down bearable.
And I must admit,When i hit the go pedal and that hemi with 345 hp kicks in, I forget what it cost for a little while and smile.

But I still like my old truck,even if I can't drive it as much as I used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

I'll toss in my two cents as a member of the Model T/60's F100 club.

Here's my 66. It's a rust-free, factory original paint pickup with a 300 I-6 and three on the tree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

My wife and I have an appreciation for all old vehicles and we've never owned one from this century. Colors for a T: like them all, but don't care personally for red on the wheels. Even if our T were running, I couldn't take it to Indiana or Virginia to visit family for Christmas. Sorry, I don't have a photo of New Orleans snow on Junior, our '50 F1. Years before I bought it, I used to think the '48-50 F1 was an ugly truck. Later I thought the Dodge of the same era was ugly, but not now.
The same thing goes for people. When you get old enough that your birthday suit needs ironing, there is a respect that comes along just for making it this far.
Junior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I love my 04 Silverado. Itís the only truck I bought new. Iíve had it for 14 years almost to the day and 100k miles. Still looks great and runs like new but some of those electronic dam-its are starting to have their glitches. I really miss my 64 1/2 ton. My next truck will be an early one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

I like this thread!
I have the right grill and such for my truck and just have not installed it.
I had a 47 Ford pickup, that I swapped for the 66. I did not have a shop or a welder at the time and a friend wanted the 47 so bad he bought the 66 and helped weld up the floors and such so I could drive it.
The 47 wound up becoming a ratrod and sold for 12,000 dollars.well it weren't ratty,had a 400 hp camero engine and such in when sold.
My 66 has the 300 I6,a Jasper rebuild ,bored 30 over with a rv cam and petronix ignition. That replaced the stock 352 that had a 8 inch crack on the passenger side of the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

It is reassuring to see these old pickups. The old Red Pickup has served me well. I drove it to work for 35 years at a place where many of the employees bought a new 4-wheel drive every year or two. Some were offended when I would park by them. Especially with my clinker barrel in the back and a broom sticking out of a stake pocket. When the company announced an early retirement many said "I can't retire before I buy a new Pickup". That didn't stop me. This pickup has saved me thousands of dollars in truck payments with minimal maintenance. My mechanic told me it wasn't worth rebuilding the engine because the front radiator support/bulkhead was rusted out at the bottom. The front end and fenders were sagging closer and closer to the ground. I simply jacked the front up and made some new bracing for it. At that point the engine quit making the funny noises and all was well.
The faded paint in the picture was put on in 1988. this Pickup has saved me thousands of dollars in truck payments. I try to keep patching the rust outs but my heart just isn't in it. I wonder which one of us will last the longest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Several years ago. No snow this year yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 07:55 am:

Junior went to northern Indiana and got snowed upon. This is early Saturday morning (Dec 30th) before I drove it 900 miles back to New Orleans, same day.
Snow on Junior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:10 am:

I hope you left the snow on it and took it with you. We have pleanty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:52 am:

No old rides in snow to post but about in 2011 the turbo engine blew in my wife's VW. It was replaced to the tune of $10K. That sent me on a quest to replace both our vehicles with pre electronic controlled models. My 03 Ford super crew Lariat was exchanged for an 85 F150 Lariat and shortly after that the VW went bye bye for a 63 Buick Special convertible for my wife. Both had small V8's and power windows, but that was about it. No payments, cheap as dirt insurance and no need to have expensive diagnostics to repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:16 am:

A turbocharger can be good or bad.Many people do not let a turbo equiped engine to idle for 5 min before stopping the engine.Often no cool down will fry the oil leading to ash and ruined bearrings.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration