The Henry Ford / Greenfield VS. Homecoming

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Henry Ford / Greenfield VS. Homecoming
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Attempting a trip next summer to either the Henry Ford Museum(s) or the MTFCA homecoming. Can't do both. I'm really interested in learning more about Greenfield and the associated sites, but not sure how long it takes to go through and see everything one would want to see. I don't know if it is a place to bring your T and able to tour around while we're there. I know very little about it, but want to hear from people who have enjoyed it. How long were you there, what's 'must see'? The other side of the coin is the MTFCA homecoming which I've enjoyed national tours thoroughly and would also like to attend. What are your recommendations? Probably not an option to do the national this year and the village the following. Hoping to go one of these destinations this year and not sure when we would be able to return to do the other. Looking for pointers from folks who have done both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Matt: I would allow one day for Greenfield Village and one day for The Henry Ford Museum. If you want to drive your T in the village, then apply for a spot at the old car festival at The Henry Ford, held in early September. The OCF has received bad press of late, but it's still the best car show on the planet. Video from last ocf has appeared on the forum. Have fun, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:55 am:

I went to my first Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village this year and loved it. But if you can't be there Labor day weekend for the OCF I would do the Homecoming tour at Richmond this year and save the Detroit visit until you can attend the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:52 am:

Homecoming in Richmond ....

If you are not a dues paying member of the MTFCA - consider joining - support your museum by visiting Richmond, Indiana every chance you get .....

The MTFCA Board Of Directors picked up tools at a recent scheduled meeting earlier this year - they did physical labor on the museum and annex buildings - it coincided with a delivery I was making of a couple donated vehicles - I was dutifully impressed.

Try finding another Board Of Directors Of a non profit organization that will do that ..... :-)

This year - the MTFCA National Tour will be the week before Homecoming - Jerry Kramer is organizing it ......

Support the MTFCA - it supports the Model T Community.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Matt, about when next summer do you plan either trip?

If it's around Father's Day weekend, there is the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village. Takes in cars 1933 to 1976. Old Car Festival is cars 1932 and older.

Otherwise, Steve is right. OCF is Fri. and Sat. and it's a good time to see GV but you'll be distracted by the cars and activities, so you might want to come back to spend a day or two in GV. And then, you'll want to spend at least a day in the Museum. And if you want to go to the Piquette Plant (highly recommended) you'll need another day.

Not car related but it might be a fun eye-opener to see the revitalized downtown Detroit area.

In short, plan on spending about a week in the Detroit area.

You won't regret it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Didn't mean to slight our MTFCA Museum. That's obviously a class act and on my list too. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Steve,

OCF is not Labor Day weekend. It's the weekend after Labor Day. Always the second weekend in September.

Marty,

"... OCF is Fri. and Sat. ..."
What? You may recall that it's Saturday & Sunday. ;O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

OCF September 8-9 2018 Greenfield Village Tickets and information at
https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival/ jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Rats!!! Wrote that at the end of my 6 hour air shift. Musta been tired, Jerry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration