Not topless now!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Not topless now!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I finally got the top installed on the 26RPU. With alot of help from the forum I might add. Thank you all that answered all my questions. Classtique quallity is great. Instructions were a little vague in some things but the forum filled in those areas with ease. It has a whole new look now that I really like. The 25 degree temps this morning on the way to breakfast were not bad as the top kept the wind off me a bit more. I have been running topless so long the people in town didnt recognize the truck. Turned out pretty good for a 1st timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Photos coming

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Looks great Dallas. Really like the tan on your truck. How did the rear roll up curtain work out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Headed home from breakfast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Ah, posted before I saw the rear shot. Looking good. Now a set of tan side curtains and you'll be nice and toasty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Like! But I have always liked trucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Thats the plan Gary. I really liked the look of Dean Yoders truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Looks Great . Very nice install. Always love the old timey thermostat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Looks sharp. Been thinking of putting a top on mine.

I've been wondering how it wood affect my rumble seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Wow, very nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Most of the purists probably hate it, but I love the tan top look that I have seen becoming popular. I think your top install came out great. I am considering it myself being I need a top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:16 am:

As I understand it. You could get a tan cloth top in 26-27. Now the roll up rear curtian is a different story. That was an aftermarket thing. I am no expery but that is what I am told.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Hi. My name is Rich, and I'm a purist . . . and a brass snob.

That tan top looks wonderful ! From my experience you'll really enjoy the roll up rear curtain in hot weather !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

That top makes that old truck look... umm... dare I say it?...
Sporty!
Wow!
That nice new top will make you want to take the garden hose and scrub brush to the rest of the truck...
next spring. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

Excellent! Tan is a very appropriate color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Looks good. Great Model T weather!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Very neatly done! Looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

That top came out wonderfully. I enjoyed the "in Progress" photos. You should be proud of your craftsmanship.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Thanks for the kind words. Nothing is difficult with all of you behind me. With the top finished I can order the side curtians. Then its back to the TT and the Martin Parry cab. Its ready for paint and a ride home for mounting on chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

black balloon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

That looks really great Dallas.

The tan was a great choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Nobody has said anything about the color matched cardboard radiator cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Dallas, looks great. How does the tan top compare in price as compared to the black top type? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Dave, I cant recall without looking but if you go to classtique web site its all there. Mike was great to deal with. Top came when he said it would. I ordered it in July. I came the 1st of September. The only thing I had to get was longer tacks. They sent tacks but after a couple layers they were too short. The material is pretty thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Great job Dallas!!! Better get some tire chains now for those winter drives. :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Hahaha! I insist on beer-box cardboard to cover my radiators! I'm kind of kidding. But it is nice flexible light cardboard.
Same color... ;-)
Tacks: I don't remember (maybe too many beer-boxes) ;-) where I got my tacks (Lang's or from Mike) but if you would, please tell more about the longer tacks. I ordered a top cover for a TT steel cab, put it in stock and have a bevy of 1/2" tacks.
Side note: I was help in re-covering some stools in the kitchen over the weekend for our Christmas and after the old Swingline 800 stapler refused to punch some staples in the bottoms of the hard seat-boards, I go out and grab the upholstery tacks out in the shed and with the help of some needle nose pliers, WOW! These tacks are just like Grandma had! They're tough as nails! Oh wait, they ARE little nails. ;-)
I have model T parts under the stools in the kitchen! Ma, model T parts are everywhere. Bwahahaha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Dallas,

Nice job on the top. It looks great!

I put a new top on my touring a few years back and I know how much work it is and how rewarding of a job it is when it's finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Your tacks should be ok on TT top. The roadster has bow wrap, top support straps, pads,rear side panel and my rear roll up and the top deck then trim. 5 layers in spots. They sent 3/8 tacks. I got 11/16 from hardware store. They have all the sizes. I had to magnetize my tack hammer and put a handle in it for the job. Havnt needed that in years. Not much need for a small hammer. Usually looking for a bigger one.
Dave I have 1/2 inch rope if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

You are a lucky dog if your local hardware store has tacks! Good for you! I got nothin' up here.
I had to order some steel round head 3/16x1-1/2 oversized rivets thru amazon for steering column repairs as my locals have nothing anymore...
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Duey, I live in Amish country. My neighbor looked at my top and said the nail on trim is the same as used on buggies.
I to will be installing top material on the MP cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Looks great Dallas. I'm trying to muster up the courage to install the new top that on my '21 Touring. The top kit came with the car but I had to find a set of bows. I now have bows. I did not get the instructions with the top but Jeff Perkins supplied them.Thanks Jeff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

You are welcome Tommy. The hardest part was getting started and the most important thing to remember is to take your time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

I will have to install the rear seat backrest cover first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Looks great Dallas, nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Dallas, your top looks great and the tan is really a nice look. Great to visit with you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Great talking with you also Jeff. How is yours coming along?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

We are getting there Dallas. I need to make some minor adjustments before I install the top deck. Patience, patience patience is my mantra. Should be wrapped up before Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Post photos Jeff. I want to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

This evening I laid the top deck on the rest of the mess I have installed just to have a peek at the fit....so far so good! A ways to go though.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 06:07 am:

Looking good Jeff. Yours looks like more work than my roadster. Very nice T!
Thanks for showing us. Show us more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration