Touring sheet metal - problem lining it up with firewall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring sheet metal - problem lining it up with firewall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Iím stumped and need advice from the wizards.

My right side and left side sheet metal panels on the 1923 Touring do not reach the firewall. There is a gap of about 1/2 inch between the panels and the firewall. Iíve pushed, pulled, grunted and done all sorts of staring at it, but I cannot seem to figure out how to remedy this problem.

Iím wondering if the holes in the wood kit where the main sills connect to the brackets that mount to the frame are misdrilled and off by 1/2 inch.

Before I go and do something drastic, I thought it would be wise to hear from the MTFCA forum wizards. Advice please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Here is a picture of the inside of what you're working on...does your wood look like or fit like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

You may have a wood firewall bracket attached to a metal fire wall...that would also account for the gap.

Do a search on it and somewhere recently someone thoughtfully posted pictures of each type of bracket...then you'll know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Here you go...
I think that's your problem...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Good catch Scott. I do believe you correct looking from his pictures. You can just see the firewall bracket in the one pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Scott:
You may be onto something. Here is a pic of the firewall bracket that I have now. Is this the correct one, or do I need Type 3 noted in your pic above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Yep wrong bracket! When you get the type 3 bracket you need check the area of the short slope I had 5 of them in a box and all were cracked right where the slope stops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Thanks, guys. You saved me from doing something drastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

This also will help me. It appears Iím missing the upper and lower body brackets. Anyone have extras for sale?
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

I believe I have the bottoms as shown in Scott's photo - what are you referring to as "uppers" - the floor board risers ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

To all:
Just one final comment to close out this thread. I ordered the #3 firewall brackets referenced in the picture above. They arrived today and they are a perfect match and solve my problem.

Many thanks to everyone who offered assistance. I only wish Iíd had the sense to ask my question a few weeks ago before I spent so many days struggling to come up with solutions.

Every once in awhile, I manage to fool myself into thinking Iím kinda smart about things. Then I get on this forum and realize I have a lot to learn about a lot of things.

Thanks for making the hobby enjoyable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:26 am:

"After all it's just a Model T , they are all the same!" a phrase I have heard at different car shows thru the years. George

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration