1926 Roadster Door bushing for Curtain rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Roadster Door bushing for Curtain rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Hi
My 26 roadster had a bushing that went in the hole in the doors for the curtain rods to fit into. They seem to be missing now and was wondering where a person could find a set of those or if they are required? I just put the side curtains on it but have not installed the rods yet. I have looked online at the parts catalogs and have not seen them and might be over looking them.
Thanks
Gerald

my picture

my picture

my picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

I don't know if anybody reproduces or supply's the bushings for the holes you have pictured but Ace hardware has numerous similar nylon bushings you may can use in the holes till you find something better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Gerald, We restored our '26 Roadster Pickup in 1996, and one of my doors had the bushing and the other didn't.

What I did was search at Swap Meets for a rusted door that had a decent bushing. I bought such a door cheap and used the bushing in my door that needed one. The bushings were not rusty in all of the rusty doors I looked at. My conclusion is that the bushings were made out of some non-rusting material.

I've looked at many '26 & '27 Roadsters and Tourings concerning whether or not they had these door bushings. My findings are that there were 3 types of doors concerning these bushings.

One type had just a plain hole with no bushing.
Another type had the hole with an embossed fake bushing.
The third type had the bushing.

So you're wondering why are there three types of doors like this? I don't know. It may be different suppliers, but I think by this time all of the Touring and Roadster bodies were made by Ford. Most likely, Ford figured how to make the doors cheaper and finally made the door with no bushing and no embossing to reduce costs.

I welcome any other opinions on this.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

The zinc bushings were used on early 26 models. As far as I know the 26-27 Improved roadsters and tourings always had either the zinc bushing (early 26) or a "die stamped" area in the door around the hole to look like a bushing. It would have been cheaper to just die stamp the area around the hole when making the door. A zinc bushing required someone to make it, ship it, store it and move it to the assembly line, and then install it. As well as have one more part in the replacement parts list to deal with. I do not have a date of change list as of this time for the zinc bushing. But it was probably used from Aug 25 till the aprox. the end of December 1925. That is the time frame that a lot of the changes were made to the improved models dealing with production problems due to totally changing almost every single part of the Improved models during the re-tooling of the factory. By the way there are 6 different doors for the 26-27 touring/roadsters that I have found so far. As far as I know there are no current repros of the zinc bushings. have fun and be safe ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Donnie:

What are the six different doors? Are they all front doors? And left and right are not considered different doors are they? I know that the four round holes in the inner door metal panel were different sizes in diameter, door hinge area was open in the inner door panel on some, and some had a strip of threaded steel for the mounting screws to attach the door. Also the zinc bushings were in some early doors. The door latch had some differences during the improved car production.

Oh, I almost forget happy holidays to you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Hi Arnie. Im not near my notes at this time. But there is "zinc grommet" or "die stamped" grommet There is "small hole" and "large hole" in the inner panels, and also "no indent" or "has indent" at the hinge area of inner panel. There are 2 different combos of small hole/large hole that have different indent/no indent and the threaded steel strip you mention that I really did not add to the list but probably should . I try not to add the small manufacturing differences, but probably should while Im doing the research. Im mostly at a stand still at this time on the Improved Models studies. I need to get rich and make a trip to the Benson research center for a few days ... so I can nail down some "dates of changes" I have a good idea as to when changes happened but I need more dates, to continue ... Happy holidays and Merry Christmas ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Have a copy of the Ford print for the zinc escutcheon used on the early '26 doors, later as Donnie posts, the doors were modified and had a 'stamped' raised edge around the curtain rod holes, so the zinc part was dropped.

Here are dates of use, don't have the record of engineering change sheet, just the print, so don't know when dropped of if discontinued part after the door panel stamping change. Likely Ford kept this part active for dealer supply.

Hard to find part today.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration