The Gem City Special

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Gem City Special
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I'be been working on my Model T project for a little over a year now. I find myself constantly looking through this forum for information but realized today I've yet to share my project on here. So here are couple photos of my 27 model T bobbed tailed speedster project I've called The Gem City Special.

Chassis shot

I've done quite a lot to it so far over the course of a years time. I've made a front cross member and pushed the front axle forward. I've split the front bones and reinforced them. I've moved the engine back 8 1/2 inches in the chassis. I've shortened the frame by over 20 inches. I've split the rear bones and made a set of quarter elliptical rear springs. Added a Gemmer steering box from God knows what kind of car. and the list goes on. I'll post updates as the build goes on. The car will have a lot of parts that were produced either in the Dayton Ohio area or by company's based here in Dayton Ohio. Hens the Name The Gem City Special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Chassis shot 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Front chassis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

That is some very creative fabrication. I like the incorporation of bending rather than welding in many places.
Thanks for sharing your accomplishment.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Looks like you may be heading for a ground clearance issue with the drain plug. Just make sure you have enough clearance considering bumps, driveways, spring flex etc. Going up a normal driveway can eat ground clearance pretty quickly. Nice job! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Yeah Dan, I have thought a lot about ground clearance. It may not look like it in the pics, but I have got everything mocked up to give a bit over 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance at the oil drain plug. I know that's still super low for a T. but I'm hoping that the short wheel base and leaf springs won't allow for more than a couple inches of travel under normal driving conditions.

skid brace 1

skid brace 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

You've been holdin' out on us! Looks like a great start on a nice build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Holy Cow. Awesome.

What is the rear suspension going to look like? I see the rear crossmember is flipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Chad,

I'm working on the rear suspension now. I've made mounts for quarter elliptical springs. I have the rear spring mounts made but I'm still working on the rear shackle mounts for the rear end. I have the rear bones split and attached to the frame. I'm also working on getting the rear brakes to work again.

rear suspension

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:15 am:

Very Very Nice, Keep the pictures coming, this is going to be a beautiful Speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Impressed. The most aggressive example I've ever seen. Like what you did with the steering mechanism. Question, are you planning on using the hand crank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

I'm liking what I see! Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Tim, I think you are going to need some kind of crossmember to keep your rear spring setup from twisting the frame rails. Nice work!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I cant wait to see more of this suspension. Keep the pics coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Looks like a fantastic speedster but I think your tires may need some air!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Vern (Vieux Carre)
I wasn't going to keep the crank start, but a friend of mine at work is really pushing me to keep it. I am not sure yet how I would do it to make it functional. Maybe some kind of right angle drive gears or some kind of universal joint set up. Either way my friend is beating on me to get the crank start back on this build so it will probably happen. My friends not bigger than me but he is older and meaner so I better give in on this one! :-)

Perry Kete
I think you have that backwards. My air really needs some tires in them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

David Stroud

I am wandering how all this will act under load. I'm really trying to get the project to the point where it's setting on it's sprung weight so I can watch what happens with it under load. I may very well need to triangulate the rear of the frame to the rear cross member on top as well. (It's already triangulated on the bottom of the rail.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Totally rad!
Please tell about the ignition on the cam.
Hehehe! If the drain plug sticks out below your "skid plate", you could weld a couple rub bars on either side of the drain plug so the bars kiss the pavement instead of the plug! ;-)
I am seeing some crazy in a couple of pics with the control shaft (parking brake lever) and quadrant!
I wanna see more!
I wish for inspiration for my regular TT that will not have that lever in the driver's doorway again.
When I find one to install, it's gonna be modded to suit. :-)
Very cool and thank you for showing this!
:-) What are the folks at Gassanine gonna say 'bout this? ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Shown is another way that the springs were attached back I the day. This is a 20ish dirt track racer with 88" wheel base that I have restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Duey_C-west central, MN

How do you know about Gassanine? Man I can't hide anywhere anymore!!! :-)

And the ignition on the cam is by far going to be a tough one to make work. Looked way cool on eBay when I bought it, but came with no way to make it function on the T. It wasn't very expensive so I took a chance on it. That and it's a Delco and I'm a Dayton Boy!!

I've machined the back of the mount to allow clearance to the cam gear nut. I'm hoping I have enough room to make and fit a points cam and still get the rotor that it came with in place below the cap. I have my fingers crossed on this one. Look possible, I'm just not 100% on it. Yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma

Do you have a better pic of the spring shackle mounts on the rear end? I'm making something very similar for this project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Tim. sent a pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Tim

Maybe this will work. This looks to be a speed part and not home made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

I've been working a bit on the rear shackle mounts and they have proved rather tedious at times. To keep from throwing them out and starting over on an easier set I moved some of my focus on making a small fuel tank that will set between the frame rails of the T I also sorted out my rear brake lever and got all that functioning.

Here's the start of the tank

I've got to order some weld in bungs for the pressure inlet and the outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Once I have the bung's I can weld in the two end plates.

I decided to build a one off exhaust manifold (header) for the Speedster as well. So I made a header flange from 3/8 thick steel stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

And I got one of the rear shackle mounts nearly completely welded up. still need to detail the welds and final media blast it. And then finish up the other one as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration