OT sand blast cabinet recommendations for sand blast cabinet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT sand blast cabinet recommendations for sand blast cabinet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Any recommendations for a sand blast cabinet? Brand, size, options, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I do not care what she tells you, Size does matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

I have a blasting cabinet I bought At Harbour Freight. It was the largest one they had and it works fine. I use what's called "sugar sand" . I believe it's no.9.

With any sand or blasting cabinet or operation the key is having a good air compressor. I have an Ingersoll rand 5 hp with a 60 gal. tank.

Some people like to use glass beads or walnut shells but the finest sand I can get seems to work for me.

For the occasional user the HF model is fine. It depends how much you want to spend when it's all said and done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

This one has served me well for the last 30 years or so. Only t parts I can't get in it are driveshaft tubes, frames, and radius rods.

http://clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_zero.php?item_id=19935

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Get one as big as possible, a two-stage compressor to match, lotsa interior light, the best ventilation system available, and STILL wear a mask!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

And some way to separate the water out of the air coming out of the compressor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

A pressure-fed Empire with a baghouse. Difficult to find a good one used, but well worth the effort. 48" x 48" x 36" is about the minimum for doing Model T fenders. As others have said, bigger is better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

As others have said, you need LOTS of air, LOTS.
If you can run the air thru a couple of receivers before it gets to your supply hose, it is less likely you will get water vapour coming thru, otherwise a refrigerated drier is really needed (commercial or home made). You need good vacuum extraction to keep cabinet clear and unless you are rural, you need to filter the outflow. IF USING SAND, THAT DUST IS A KILLER ! (literally-carcenajenic)
You probably need a cyclone seperator as the dust will KILL your extractor {Been there, Done that $$$$}
Domestic electricity supply will limit you to about 15CFM Comp unless you go to engine powered compresser and neighbours will soon complain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 04:39 am:

My sand blast cabinet is a big card board box, it saves the sand and I do it outside so the wind takes care of the dust. poor people have poor ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:27 am:

I just sold my 48 x 36 commercial grade with vacuum system last week on Facebook garage sales for 300 When I just look at our area they were at least 5 cabinets for sale from 200 -500 $$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:28 am:

I agree with Dale. Wear a mask whether your using a cabinet or sandblasting on the outside!

You will never be able to cough up the fine dust you thought wasn't there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Make sure that you install a good water separator before the cabinet. I live in humid Florida so an air dryer is almost essential but if you cant afford one then at least use a double separator one before your regulator and one after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Thanks for all the good advice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration