Exhaust manifold: second opinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Exhaust manifold: second opinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:49 am:

I've been trying to fix an exhaust leak for a year now. I've mainly been repairing other parts of the T but now its all about done and I'm driving it more and more so it's time to repair the pesky exhaust leaks. Over the year I've tried several types of gaskets and on this last set I've determined the manifold might be warped. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and should have seen this long ago. I thought I would ask what you guys think.

The exhaust rings fit snug in the photos

Hopefully images upload

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Yep, it's warped. Sure there's a way to fix it by heating, etc. but I'd just get a new one and be done with it. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 09:58 am:

If it's unlikely that you'll ever need another, find a better one. If you think or know you're likely to need others, then it may be worth making a jig so you can straighten your own. I believe the new one sold by the dealers is 26-27. If you prefer the pre-26 look, you'll have to find a good used one.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG82.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I believe the early manifolds don't warp as much as the later ones. I also think the 3 in 1 gaskets have caused a lot of them to warp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Unless you belong to a club that has a torch and jig to straighten the manifold you can spend to much time and the cost of a acetelyne rig and gas to straighten the manifold.

Good straight manifolds with good threads are getting fairly scarce. Buy yourself a new one and be done with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I agree the news one are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:32 am:

If you have good threads on the packing end of the manifold it might be worth your while to straighten it. Sometimes you will break the manifold in trying to do so. New ones are not expensive. Around $100 for a new one. If you always use the steel glands you should be fine with a new one even if you use the 3 in one gaskets you should still use the glands. The cause of the warp is usually when the engine gets very hot, the weight of the exhaust pipe and muffler drag the rear end of the manifold down and it stays down after it cools. The glands will keep it from sagging.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:48 am:

I agree with John about the cost of equipment. If you don't already have the gas welding rig it's cheaper to buy a straight manifold. If you do happen to have that stuff in your shop, my experience has been that the amount of gas used to straighten a manifold is a lot less than the $90+ for purchase and shipping of a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Thanks for the help on this one. I don't have the equipment to straighten the manifold so I ordered a new one. You guys were right it wasn't as much as I thought it would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 02:00 am:

James, don't pitch that manifold if the threads are good. Someone may want to try their hand at straightening it. Just a thought. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Yea,I tryed the straightening and IF IF IF I had done EXACTLY as the directions said,it would have worked. But NO, I had to touch the wrench,and *#*#*# I had a 2 piece manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

I have kept all the old parts even the replaced rotten wood so far. The manifold will go into the collection. It just feels wrong to get rid of them. My wife may change my mind when the pile grows into a second T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

I have the same pile. Everything that comes off my car goes in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Well, ain't that the way it's done ?? Doesn't everyone have a pile of take-off parts ? I do too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration