Another Brake Drum Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another Brake Drum Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

I have one of the narrow brake drums that uses the removable shoes, and I want to use it. I have two concerns.

First, the surface where the thrust washers will go is scored. Can this just be cleaned up on a lathe? I'm thinking I can adjust the clearance to the clutch drum with an additional spacing washer.

Second, there is a lip where the drive plate mates to the drum. In the picture this looks severe, in reality it is less than it appears; the parts are not bolted together, just set together for the picture, and they are sitting on their sides. Can I just turn the driven plate down a bit so the surface is even? It seems fine but I'd like input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Short answer is yes you could clean the thrust surface of the brake drum. I have done this many times. However and I really can't tell from the picture but the clean up may remove some of the rivets that were peened and machine on this surface. Removing to much would weaken them and maybe the drum could come loose IMO. You could buy the rivets, counter sink the shaft deeper and be better off. I would do one rivet at a time.

You could turn the ID of the drive plate down also but my guess is the drum surface is well worn and all could be trued up as the brake drum is thicker than the other two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:27 am:

Gary, two questions spring to my mind. Given the issues with the drum, does the value of having the removable shoes outweigh the wear you find? Would it be just as satisfactory to find a better drum that does not have the shoes?

Given the disparity between the drum and the drive plate, I would suggest that the plate be indexed to the drum and the two surfaces machined/ground together for a better surface for the band to work on.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Are you sure that drum will take the removable shoes? It looks like a standard drum to me. If you grind or file the lugs to make the shoes fit, that doesn't leave much material to hold the bolts.

This narrow drum with shoes has them between the bolt holes, so there's plenty of material to hold both the shoes and the bolts.

With the drive plate slightly bigger than the drum, you may have to elongate its bolt holes to make the bolts fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Steve is right, it looks to me like the topmost picture is of a standard drum that has had its lugs filed and notched to allow the lug shoes to fit.

I have no personal experience with that modification, but I have read elsewhere on the forum that filing the lugs that much leaves them vulnerable to cracking in the thinnest area around the bolt holes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I see what you mean but It does fit them, I removed the ones that were on it. I'll look closer at the drum and compare it to another early one though and see if it was a modification. I'll also clean it up over the weekend and do a crack check.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration