Who makes the left hand Ruckstell Shifter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Who makes the left hand Ruckstell Shifter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Who makes the left hand shifter? You can PM me if you want. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Dan

so you know, there are two different shifters that I know of...one mounts directly to the frame and is held down by two "U" bolts :-(, and one mounts in pillow blocks.

Perhaps it is the same shifter, mated to two different mounting schemes, but in any event, there are two choices to chose from...choose your poison

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I was wondering if they are still being made. I know someone that was looking for one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

We make the one with pillow blocks. Snyder's has u-bolts Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I have used several from Snyder's and they work well. They also fit beneath the floorboards on a '26-7 car, whereas the pillow block type are too tall.

(Message edited by coupelet on December 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Dan;

I made one for my '15 from a piece of cold-rolled steel and an extra brake handle. I used the brake control supports that are normally mounted on the bottom of the frame for the support at the frame but mounted them on the top of the frame, welded up the rivet hole and ground off the tab where it was. It was easy, cheap, and looked great coming up through the hand brake hole in the floorboard. Oh, I also widened that hole by cutting the plate and welding in a couple of pieces of flat strap. I sold the car early this year so can't take pictures, but I'm sure you get the idea. It looked much better than the one you can buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 12:10 am:

I have a friend who bought the nicest untouched original '23 touring you will ever see. Someone ruined part of that originality by drilling four unauthorized holes in the frame for one of those shifters. To each his own, but to me that ruined the car. I have Ruckstells in every T I own, and have NO PROBLEM with the original location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

You can always build your own out of old Model T parts.

http://antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/May2005newsletter/may2005.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Just wondering.... Who authorizes holes? Is there somewhere we apply for authorization?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Ford sure didn't authorize them, so why damage a perfectly good car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:55 am:

I will authorize them, for a small fee. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:21 am:

If we're doing a "group authorization", I'd like to get on the list for 7 holes. I only need to know who to send the pertinent info to :-) These will be 5/8 inch holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Gary, I generally don't authorize more than four holes per person. I have heard that people will "go in" with a second party to increase the number of authorized holes, but it should be noted that holes obtained in this manner are in fact not authorized. :-)

I have also heard of folks turning holes into non-holes. This requires no authorization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Tom
That is funny and informative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:19 am:

The no-authorization-required turning of holes into non-holes is quick, easy, and non-traceable. Because of this, I never could see making a big deal out of making an extra hole here and there. I even made a couple in my fender, to accommodate my non-authorized aftermarket spare tire carrier. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:56 am:

I finally found the picture.

holes

Actually, it needed two holes in the fender and two in the running board. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Mike, would you like to get your tire carrier authorized? I would do this for you - for a small fee, if you so desired. :-)

It should be understood that any hole or accessory authorized by me carries the full weight and benefit of having been authorized by me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Tom, that last sentence "It should be understood that any hole or accessory authorized by me carries the full weight and benefit of having been authorized by me" has me sold. I'll be submitting two authorization forms. One for 4 holes and one for 3. Please let me know where to send the funds.

Mike, that is a great opportunity you've been afforded to get that tire carrier authorized. I understand the cost of authorizations will be going up in 2018

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Talk about drift. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Dan, if you have properly authorized holes, and they have been drilled (or punched) straight and properly, they can be tapped without any discernible thread drift. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:54 am:

While I'd like to have the authorizations before year's end to avoid the cost increase, I'm not sure I could afford them even at the lower rate. There's the authorization for the spare carrier, the two holes in the fender, two in the running board on this side, EIGHT in the running board on the other side for the tool box and step plate, four in the frame for the left-hand Ruckstell shifter, and the list goes on and on. Do you give volume discounts, Tom? And are you certified to authorize drifts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Mike, I have to admit that I am not a certified authorizer. In fact, I have only authorized two frame holes in my entire career. But, to my credit, I believe that the aforementioned authorization was entirely successful as I have received NO COMPLAINTS from any of the involved parties.

I am not a certified un-holer either, but I have un-holed dozens, perhaps hundreds of holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Left hand shifter makes it much easier to shift a Ruckstell or other Aux Tranny. Much easier to throttle back as you shift. I use a modified Emergency brake lever and shaft. The Car does not seem to mind the extra holes..

The reproduction shifter that I tried to use is made wrong, interferes with the rear wishbone connection and the square instead of splined shaft makes it almost impossible to align the shift handle with out bending it. I had to modify it quit a bit to make it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Now I see Tom beat me to a really good pun-ch line

(Message edited by BRIANWYO on December 20, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle , N.C. Triangle on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

S-o-o-o does any one make a lefty shifter ? I have a keen interest because I have center door sedan....as you may know, it is tough enough to get between the front seats to pilot the car, the idea of an extra shifter is a big no thank you !...also forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain what "pillow blocks" are ? I still have so much to learn....Thank you all ! respectfully, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

I have an original Ruckstell center shift in our '19 Centerdoor - it's not too bad to jockey around to get in - but then, I'm not a big guy either !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Oh, pillow blocks are a bearing assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Mike I have the pic of your other unauthorized holes on the passenger side tool box and step, Good luck with your volume discount! Hope the pics helps Tom with the paperwork!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

LOL, love the discussions about "authorized" holes!

Where do I receive training to get a certificate designating me as an approved "hole authorizer"?

BTW, I decided to install the Ruckstell shifter in the stock location in Betsy and have had no issues with moving the throttle as needed for shifting. I do have to do a little more gymnastics with my big feet to get in and out of the driver's seat, though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Mark, did you get authorization for the hole you put in the floorboard for the Ruckstell shifter???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:08 am:

HAHAHA! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:02 am:

John F. Stephens,

Pillow blocks are the bearing mounts that the cross shaft is supported by.

There are a few available. (The last photo is from Chaffin's Garage.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Chris, the hole for the shifter is only one of the unauthorized acts of butchery that I did to my floorboard. I also notched the parking brake slot so that the board could be slipped sideways off the parking brake handle, and cut a big hole in the passenger side for my heater grate!

Not to mention the excessive slicing of the floor mat for the Rucksell shifter, and using the choke knob as a hat rack! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:15 am:

By the way...

Larry, please accept my comments as the good natured ribbing that they are intended to be, and don't give up your quest for absolute originality.

We need someone to do the research and put in the effort to dispell the myths and document THE TRUTH on exactly the condition and configuration these pieces of history left the factory back in the day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:23 am:

While restoring my 1913 runabout, I located almost 10 non authorized holes that I had to get welded up. It makes me feel better that I have corrected others mistakes, and it cost me $100 to do this! Mark, you need to learn how to cut a hole in your floormat!!! How about an authorized Merry Christmas to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Merry Christmas Larry, and to everyone else as well!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:13 am:

LOL Larry, I do need to get another floor mat! When I order the mat for my '25 touring body, I'll pony up and get two so that I can try again. :-)

The drawing in the older thread below shows the location and orientation of the hole required to allow full travel of the Ruckstell center shifter. Notice that the hole is angled 8 degrees to the right from straight ahead.

On first glance, you wouldn't think that such a small hole would be sufficient, but it is! I guess it's because the pivot point for the shifter is so close to the bottom of the floor board.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/374521.html?1374156753

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:51 am:

When I measure out cuts for floorboards and floormats, I always use the same reference point. If you don't, you're inviting a mistake! BTW, those Ruckstell floorboard trim plates are far too big, and are unneeded. As Mark mentioned, you don't need a very big hole for the shifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I have one of those trim plates and decided not to use it.

If somebody wants it, PM me with your shipping address and I will slip it into an envelope and mail it to you as a Christmas present. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

I don't think there is a Model T out there that has not been modified. Even Ford modified them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration