Back to the beginning - leaking gas tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Back to the beginning - leaking gas tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I am back to square one, again.

My gas tank/sediment bowl leaked. Pulled the sediment bowl and the gas line, used the Permatex Seal Lock Thread Compound.

The two gallons sat in the tank for several days before it began leaking again over the weekend. Pulled the line and drained the tank.

I am wondering if the tank itself is leaking around the sediment bowl connection or the tank itself is defective.

This has been a frustrating experience. Can the tank be repaired? Also, I worked on a Model A Ford years ago, and never recall gasoline smelling so much and eating away at everything. The Permatex Seal Lock Thread Compound broke down in days.

Suggestions? Many thanks, T-bees!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

G'day Brooks,

I had to resolder the ring on the tank as the 90 odd year old solder had finally died and needed to be replaced. Problem solved when redone.

Peter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

The tank flange where the bulb threads into it might be cracked. Get some fuel dye at a farm supply store and put it in the tank with the gas. It will reveal where your leak is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Thanks, Peter.

I think I may pull the tank tomorrow and examine it closely.

Also, will need a new thread sealant. Will research the forum on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Thanks, R.V.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Brooks
Try to avoid ethanol blended gasoline!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Hey Les - Agreed!

It really smells, and no matter how little it gets on me, I get the complaints when I walk into the house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Monday, December 18, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

In the shipyard to look for leaks get some dark blue chalk and scrape to create a powder. Mix with water to create a paste and brush on joints. A blow gun and little air dries it in a hurry. Leaks will show up quickly and the paste left can dry out for next use with a little water. Has saved me a lot of time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 12:20 am:

I have the same problem with one of my '13s. The flange on the bottom of the tank weeps. I've got to lift the whole body up to get it out! A very huge bummer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 06:13 am:

fuel lube is the sealant to use.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration