Revitalizing paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Revitalizing paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Steven Robbins.... Newton, Kansas on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Any suggestions on what to use to clean the paint on a set of doors which are Very dirty without damaging them. I am going to try to bring the paint back then polish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

First wash well with soft cloth and soap and water, dish detergent is OK for this first clean of heavy dirt. May have to do a couple of washes and then rinse and dry.

Then a good rubbing compound will remove old oxidation and clean the paint surface of embedded stuff. Hand rub, not motorized for control.

Follow with paint polish of choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Cleaning grained vinyl--I have a car with a grained vinyl material glued to the back of the front seat. It is in perfect condition and looks great BUT it is getting "sticky". Any magic to revitalize the material without hurting the color or finish. It is black and would fool you into thinking it is leather. To my knowledge, it does not have any wax or conditioner on it. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Several years ago, A friend of mine in the Long Beach Club purchased a 1918 Roadster from the widow of one of the members that passed away.

I was at his house to look at his new purchase. The car was in great condition, but he was lamenting about the fact that the window in the top was so hazy that you couldn't see through it. He was considering having the entire top replaced,

I noticed that the window was, in fact, sticky and the "haze" was caused by the dirt and lint that was stuck to the window due to the sticky condition.

I remembered that one of the "100 Uses" of WD-40 was removing the sticky glue residue left from price tags when they are peeled off. I asked my friend if he had any WD-40 and a rag. He immediately grabbed a can from the shelf and asked "What are you going to do with that?"

I gave a grin and told him "Watch this". In 20 minutes the window was almost as clear as it was when new. Definitely clear enough to see through safely.

Perhaps this method will work on your sticky grained vinyl seat back. Vinyl upholstery material and clear convertible top windows are both made from vinyl, and both become "sticky" when they begin to shed the polyvinyl oil that the material is made from.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:24 am:

RE: sticky vinyl/naugahyde upholstery

The 60 year old vinyl naugahyde upholstery of my dad's 1910 IHC started becoming sticky and attracting dirt.

Mild soap and water was ineffective in cleaning it or getting rid of the stickiness.

Internet searches indicated that stickiness is a symptom of the vinyl coating breaking down and could be the beginning of the death of the upholstery.

One "cure" to to get rid of the stickiness that was mentioned on a number of car forums was to clean it with GoJo or Goop hand cleaner and a soft scrub brush.

We didn't go the GoJo or Goop route. Instead, we used Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner which did the trick to lift the dirt and get rid of the stickiness.

Unlike other leather/vinyl cleaners, Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner is strictly a cleaner and doesn't contain any dressing such as neatsfoot oil or lanolin. (I would never put neatsfoot oil or lanolin on vinyl.)

https://www.autozone.com/interior-detailing-and-car-care-products/leather-care/b lue-magic-leather-and-vinyl-cleaner/142420_0_0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I will try Blue Magic. Someone said they would try rubbing alcohol in Small area. Don't want to take color out/off. Thanks Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Like Dan, I used rubbing compound on my car.
Holy cow, it made a world of difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

2 levels of aggressiveness (at least) with that Turtle Wax compound. White is "mild" Red is "aggressive". I highly recommend the white for your older paints.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration