Which welding tip?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Which welding tip?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

My smallest Victor tip is 0, and it's not small enough. What size do I want to use on .041" brass without burning holes in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Steve...what are you really trying to do?

Is there not something with less heat that will work? MAPP? Propane?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Propane/oxygen works with the same equipment, not as hot as acetylene. Dave in Bellingham, wa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Use less Oxygen and Acetylene, keep the flame low...
also keep your distance, it should work just fine..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I need to fill a hole in one of these and attach some hardware to the back. I'll try the lower heat suggestion on a practice piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Steve, cut back the pressure on your regulators too, that will decrease the heat a lot. Makes it easier to adjust for what you need. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:02 am:

Steve, I would use silver solder and just keep the heat source back a little. It is imperative you use the correct flux and everything must be very clean!!!!! When you go to re-polish it, it will blend perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 04:46 am:

My welding tips for the day is one: be careful to not point the flame anywhere near flammable materials, and two: never ever point the flame toward your fingers.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Bob, any silver solder that I have used is silver in color. I do know that there are some that look a lot like brass, but not all do. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:28 am:

By the way Steve, a 00 and a 000 tip can come in handy. Look for them at a swap meet, they show up from time to time. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:44 am:

For what's it worth I soldered a new neck on the older flat tube radiator in my 21 T with a hand held propane torch. Worked great with a smooth joint all the way around and no burning of the nickel plating.
When trying to solder thin material with a oxy-acetelyne torch use a low neutral flame with the flame off or away from the material as much as possible. Use the smallest tip you can find. Remember that the heat from the flame does the job not the flame itself. That's how I think of it. Welders will have have different viewpoints about this. After 40-50 years that's what works for me when using a torch to solder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:31 am:

IMHO, the 000 tip is a hobbyist's friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:35 am:

I used a butane pencil torch o work with brass with thicknesses from .005 to .040 with silver solder.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration