FJ - Do these plastic deer whistles actually work ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Do these plastic deer whistles actually work ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:46 am:

I never have used these before.

I usually do not drive between dusk & dawn because of the wildlife on the road & drunk drivers.

Anyone use these plastic deer whistles ?

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Hi Jim,
My dogs hate them, so they do work in making ultrasonic noise...I don't know if the noise actually deters deer or not though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:19 am:

After three deer strikes in a few years, I installed these on my modern cars. No deer strikes in six years, so I guess they are 100% effective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:29 am:

I had them on my Goldwing and they will mesmerize a standing deer. They DON'T stop a running deer. Cheap insurance either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Be careful and make sure you install them in the right direction, if you put them on backwards the deer will come running to you! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:36 am:

FJ...I dunno, but I have had them on my '94 & my '97 to this day...haven't hit a deer yet. But then, haven't had the "pleasure" of seeing one come running up to the edge of the road and turn around either! But I have seen smaller animals do it, so do they work? Beats me..but like Don said, cheap insurance anyway.

Oh Perry!!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 08:45 am:

I have never used these, but in both of my deer encounters, the deer ran into me. Both times they ran into the side of my truck as I was driving down the road. So in 39 years of driving, two deer encounters, two years apart, I don't know how you would prove these work or not. I think it would just come down to if they look cool on the front of your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:04 am:

For some years the Pennsylvania State Police used those whistles on their patrol cars, at least around here. So somebody thought they worked.

On my previous modern car I had them and did not have any deer collisions.

Season's Greetings,

Rick Benjamin
Lewisburg, PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:08 am:

They are supposed to make the deer freeze which is great if they are standing by the side of the road but not so good if they are standing in the middle of the road. As the old saying goes, they are like chicken soup.........they may not help but they sure don't hurt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:14 am:

I have tried them but they dont work. I sit in my deer stand blowing away and no deer come in! My dog comes and my horse when I whistle. Should have tried the other end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:16 am:

This reminds me of a funny story;
A guy is sitting in a train wadding up pieces of paper and throwing them out the window, says the lady across from him 'why are you throwing the wads of paper out the window?' says he 'its to scare the lions away' says she 'there are no lions here' says the men ' see, it works !' ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Very good observations about the effectiveness of this on standing wildlife versus a moving target.

“ Nothing Runs Like A Deere “ - it’s not just a farm equipment slogan .....

Years ago I was on my way to the Springfield Ohio Swap Meet - at daybreak I saw a deer jumped 6 foot concrete median on the freeway and the guy in front of me hit him on the full side head on.

One of the rear hind quarters of the deer came out from behind his truck like a Skippingstone and went right by the front of my truck.

The front of his truck was totaled.

I gave him a ride into his work.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:40 am:

I repair a lot of deer hit cars in my body shop with deer whistles on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:54 am:

If you have them on your truck and never hit a deer they work,
If you have them on your truck and hit a deer they dont!

I have friends in both camps.

They're cheap- some produce a noise, some dont at any speed, but unless you actually take yours to an acoustics lab and have them tested, you'll never know.

Tests done on their effectiveness are inconclusive, but tend toward slim to none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Sort of like Leo story...

My division built a housing complex for company owned and optionally mortgaged out personal ownership.

At the last minute the Chairman looks at the finished drawings and has an apparent light bulb moment. "I have heard of lightning rods. Should we include them?" which meant 'say yes and do it'. I did rather than remind him nothing within 50 miles had lightning arrestors.

3 years after the complex was built, we are at a huge celebration for something or another, the Chairman stands to offer a toast, and..."My idea for lightning rod protection must have been good, perhaps even excellent. No buildings have burned in the complex since they were built...I wonder what my next idea will be!"

On the deer thing, I know a guy who swore by them. After several encounters with deer he added deer whistles. He admitted he never knew if they worked or not...no deer had run out in front of him since he added them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:07 am:

I doubt they work. We have a excess of deer around here and folks try them and still hit them.
I know a siren has no effect much either.On sunday watch at the fire department 1 day i took Engine 1 out for a stroll. Long curvy country road, that big 534 rumbling along nice about 35 mph,and suddenly I am staring at i think it was a 8 point buck,right in the middle of the road,no desire to move. Being a cab over Ford, I had a good look straight him when I stopped. He sniffed of the big chrome siren on the front,I bumped the button, he butted the siren. After a while i finally crept forward and he moved over. He must have thought he was Hercules or something.A huge red truck,and he was standing his asphalt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:37 am:

On a semi-related note:

I once found a sterling silver dollar sized St. Christopher medal that was riveted to an old truck's metal dashboard in a junkyard.
The truck had been in a roll-over accident and was totaled.

I put it on the dash of my old truck, and in the 25 years since, I haven't had a single accident- and I aint even a Catholic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:44 am:

This woman has a better solution than deer whistles…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:44 am:

What a perfect product! No one can tell if they do anything because they can't be heard by humans. The odds of hitting a deer are pretty low so most people that have them get the warm fuzzies that they do repel deer. I have a Harley with rather loud exhaust and headlight on all the time. Deer will stand right at the side of the road and pay no attention to the sight or sound as I go by. I have hit a deer with the motorcycle. The deer came across the road at full gallop right in front of me. He wasn't interested in anything except running. I was not hurt but the deer and motorcycle didn't fare as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Dale, St Christopher helps those who need it, regardless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Dusk and dawn is good advice around here. I see more elk every day in groups of four or more on the side of city streets with inland folks clogging the street taking pictures. The stopped cars usually have some one in the rear who cant see the elk blasting around the stopped cars---very dangerous

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:14 am:

nothing like driving across Texas on I-10 late fall and counting all of the dead or dying deer off to the side of the road. This was back in the early eighties I still have slides somewhere of one bouncing off a heavy brush guard. So if it helps please use them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

" The odds of hitting a deer are pretty low"
Uh,you aint from around here are ye? :-)
There is a 300ZX sitting about a 1/2 mile from here totaled.A year or 2 ago,he passed by my mailbox and a dear jumped out in front of him.Started with the front end,bumper,hood,roof,and tore the back end up as well. Deer kept trucking. He did wind up being buzzard food down on the river but that car hardly has a straight place on it.
My nieghbor has done about 2k in damage to his Tundra twice right along our road frontage. Along with another guy down the road..So that is 4 that fed the buzzards right here in front of home.Down the road past the gold mine that has a few 100 acres that no one can hunt on,they regularly jump out in groups onto the road.A couple folks got seriously hurt trying to dodge them. Hunting restrictions should be relaxed for a couple years and get them beat back to the river where they don't cause much trouble.
Wildlife folks,they had a bright idea.Turn Coyotes loose. Well,They aint as dumb as Willie E. They get all the new born calves,pet dogs and cats and chickens and let the deer run by themselves to stay fit. Why chase food thinks the coyote?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

dale w says:

“If you have them on your truck and never hit a deer they work,
If you have them on your truck and hit a deer they dont! “

And I agree. Put in another way,

If you have Kevlar bands in your Model T and never break a drum, they work!
If you have Kevlar bands in your Model T and break a drum, they don’t!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

This is the only thing that is 100%. With the TT the deer can walk out of the way and the F-350 the roo-guard does the job

F-350 & TT 2017s.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Marketed in Australia for Kangaroo's, called Shoo Roo or Hopper Stoppers. Do they work? mmm don't know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

When I was driving supply's and paper work for my job, I drove 1.38 million miles in my company vehicles over that 16 years. We started equipping our vehicles about 8/9 mounts after I started. LOVE them, LOVE them, Love Them, I even put them on my motorcycles starting in 85' when I took up two wheels. My opinion is they are not 100% but a 85-95% type of deal. If you drive enough no matter you will hit something, but if it takes it from once every other year to once every 10 or 15 years it's still a big help. Works on the smaller animals too. Keep in mind this, the amount of driving I was doing on a yearly basis was like 5 to 6 years worth for an average driver. I had worked over 12 years for the company when I hit my first deer. That was after I reached a million miles, and for most drivers who drive no more than 5 or 6 hundred thousand miles in their life time. All of those years were mostly at night when it's more likely to hit a deer. The reason I can say this is because when you drive the same road over and over at about the same time everyday you soon learn where it's most likely to see wildlife and when you see an abrupt change and no or a greatly reduced amount in the same area and the only thing you have done is put these whistles on your vehicles what else could it be. You do need to some maintenance on them, bugs can clog them up making them useless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

If they get full if bugs they do not wrork k,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

they repel deer AND attract bugs at the same time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Mack,

You need to move that "Deer Crossing" sign to a safer place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

deers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

John,

“ Tommy Boy “ is one of the greats ...... :-)

I was driving a two lane country road around noon to see Louie at Last Chance Garage in Unionville, PA - a young buck ran across the road about 100 yards in front of me - I slowed because that usually means more - got about 20 yards from another two bucks following - they turned to look in my direction & just stopped dead in their tracks - I laid on the horn & they bolted back from on where they came.

I thought that a weird reaction - don’t remember seeing that before - then I remembered the deer whistles ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

if only those silly deer would learn to use their crosswalks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I live in a private community, so it's like a deer sanctuary especially during hunting season. No fear of human contact.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration