Push start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Push start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

I have a staud mke-a-tractor from memory the rear is geared 11 to 1. The starter onced locked and it would not start , I tried rocking it, It won't rock. That said I now wounder what to do if I am at a show and it won't start, wheels slide if you pull or winch it, how am I going to get it on a trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Eugene
I assume it is a worm gear unit. At 11-1 it is really tough to reverse turn it. Perhaps it might be possible to disconnect at least one of the wheels at the hub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Take the bendix cover off and disengage the bendix by turning it. Do not try to take the starter motor off, or you can damage the mag ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

I did not make myself clear. the rear hub on the car is replaced by a 11 tooth roller sprocket and it turns a large sprocket inside a 4 foot wheel. You can't get the sprocket off because the 4 foot wheel is in the way. The only way I can see is take the 4 foot wheel off then the hub sprocket then put the 4 foot wheel back on. I need a easier way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

The mutiple gear reductions and light weight are going to make it impossible to turn without skidding.
Make or buy some wheeled dolleys to put under the rear wheels, or build a long handled (that can be removed if needed)contraption you can slip under the rear axle that once over-centered will put the weight of the tractor on a set of free spinning wheels so you can tow it.

OR get your engine in tune so it doesnt happen........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I have three conversion tractors. If it were me, I would do as Jeff suggests. It's really the only way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york, Boise Id. on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I have been there and the show had a forklift so he picked up the rear and drove me over to my trailer and pushed me up on the ramps and on the trailer. I found a piece of carbon under an intake valve so it would not start. I also found that on my Montgomery Ward that I could take the rollers out of one pinion and then it was movable. I have thought about a dolly to carry a dead one but haven't come up with a design yet. Any ideas out there? Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration