Does anyone recognize this SCVMTC Endurance Run Racer #65?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone recognize this SCVMTC Endurance Run Racer #65?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

A friend just found this car and asked me if I knew anything about it. Unfortunately, these are the only photos he has. Inside the trunk lid are about 10-12 of the dash plaques from the SCVMTC Endurance runs that date through the 1980s. Can't tell you much more about the car except it has a Sherman head. The current owners knows nothing about the car's history.
Does anyone here know anything about this car, the builder or any existing photos? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Speedster #65 first entered the SCMTF Endurance Run in 1990. It was driven by Tony Astoreano with Jackie as co-pilot. In his third Endurance Run in 1993, Tony and Jackie came in first. They were members of No. CA MTF Club. The car has a Ruxtell and a Sherman head.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Thanks, Don. I wonder if someone before Tony and Jackie owned this car, since the plaques are from the 1980s. It does have an old Sherman super head and a Ruckstell. If anyone else has any additional information or photos, that would be great.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Ron- you might contact Bob Rankin up at North West Vintage speedsters. Bob is the keeper of the car number registry for the west coast and he may have some info on the history of that number if it was registered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

HI Dan- Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Checked the NWVS car number registry and nothing comes up for this car. Hope you are well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

So I got up off my duff and went and looked through old Endurance Run programs, and Car #65 was entered in the 1981 Endurance run by Bert Schoenstein and the mechanic was Karl Schoenstein.
I knew the car looked familiar in the picture Ron posted but. . . .

I knew Bert pretty well back then, and spoke with him quite often when he was building the car, and quite possibly may have sold him the Sherman head that is on the car now. For the '81 Endurance run, the program indicates the car had a Ricardo Head, Bosch Ignition and a downdraft carburetor (shudder!.
Bert's day job was as an organ builder at his family's business in San Francisco, Schoenstein and Co. So if you can imagine someone with the skills to work on and build organs, I'll leave your imagination to how they would do building a Model T speedster. Here is a link to the current Shoenstein & Co website:http://www.schoenstein.com/. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Since this one was built by organ makers, we're going to need pictures of the exhaust system, in it's entirety :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Thanks Dan, I'll pass this on to my friend. The car somehow found its way to the midwest and my friend asked me to inquire about it.
If he gets the car, I'll have him post photos here.
If anyone else has additional information, please feel free to share it here! Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration