Rear spare carrier photos?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear spare carrier photos?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

I would like to reserve the running board space on my 1923 touring for other things. Anybody have good pictures of a rear spare carrier (for clincher rim) and how it's mounted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Thanks. Those give an idea how it's supposed to go.

I think I can make something along those lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:36 am:

sorry about the pix quality. Once you reduce size in paint you can't increase without distortion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Sorry missed the part about clincher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Holes in the later frames for spare rim carrier.

Mounting

Clamping for holding rim to carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Mine is the same as Dan shows and is illustrated in the manual. I have the piece that clamps on the rim .. just need to modify a long bolt to use it. It's not the same as a standard rim bolt.

Spare tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

this is mine

yep y mount for 30 x 3.5 clincher

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I had the same type 30 x 3 1 1/2 spare tire bracket with a Y on my old speedster as is shown above by G. R. But I wanted it to have the tires lean forward. So I cut a V in the top of the curved tubular shaft, bent the shaft forward and welded it.

Spare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Excellent! With these pictures and Google images I think I'm well on the way. Now let's see if anybody can come up with a couple of measurements.

I'd like to get the distance from the back of the frame (C)...

...to the back of the carrier beside the rear rivet (D), and from there, beside the rivet (D), to the top of the carrier (E).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I can tell you Steve that when installing the stock bracket onto frame as you have illustrated above ... itís much easier when you loosen the bolts that hold the bracket together. Itís a real pain getting all the holes in the bracket to line up the holes in the frame. Get all the bolts installed loose ... and then tighten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

The USA tub may differ from mine, but with the body on, there's no way to get the top bolts in or out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Steve, I will go through my spare tire carriers and see if I have what you need. I also have some nice front fenders in case you still need one. Would be glad to have you come see me. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

C to D 10 1/2"

D to E 8 1/4"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Mark - those carriers were originally riveted together - not bolted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Frank - the bolts go up from the bottom - nuts on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

FYI: I have an NOS 30X3.5 Carrier that I would sell. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Ha ... how about that. I guess someone had mine apart at some time to clean it up .. and put it back together with small bolts. Bought it from Model T Haven a couple of years ago. Next time I take it off I'll install rivets. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Steve, If you want the proper carrier for your 1923 model, look for a carrier without the two "crimps" in the top rail. They were added in 1924 when the 1924-27 tail lamp/license bracket became standard on the starter equipped cars. The hole in the top of the rail is for routing the wire when using the later tail lamp. Most of the photos shown on this "string" show the 1924-25 carrier.
All of these carriers are for 30X3-1/2 clinchers. The one without the "crimps" would be for your 1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Steve T
This is what I meant by the one I've got, a floor support plank runs on top of the frame rail, limiting the ability to remove with out lifting the tub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Steve, unless you are in a great hurry, or just want to tackle building a tire carrier, I think I have one (or 2 or 3) if you are interested. It will be a whole lot easier to use the original part. My stuff is priced so that even "Mr. Thrifty" will like it .. :-) :-) Let me know if you want pictures.

e-mail dobro (at) artelco.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Ed, I sent you an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:48 am:

I see Frank ! I'll take a gander at our '19 Centerdoor w/demountables and check the mounting bolts on that carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Steve, When I try to answer your e-mail, my internet quits working. My fenders are not quite as good as I remembered, but I believe they are still pretty good. Also found a spare tire carrier that seems to match the one you need. Saturday or Sunday would be just fine. Saturday might be better to beat the weather. I live on West Garriott, but the parts are at a house I bought for storage on east Garriott ( Hwy. 412) give me a ring and I could give directions and meet you there. Phone is 580-237-6717. Ed

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration