Today I removed the carburetor, expecting the worst given the mouse plagues she had gone through when stored on the farm.
I tried not to disturb the crud while taking the thing apart. What I found further supports the idea she has had a relatively easy life.
The insides were as clean as a whistle.
The needle and mixture control hardly register anywhere.
Apart from the fuel bowl nut/drain, there isn't a single bruise on any of the brass bits. Even the throttle linkage is un worn.
I cut a new bowl gasket and put it all back together as it was. Here is the after shot.
I will have to replace the copper fuel line, but that can wait.
The choke return spring was an interestin bit of farm mechanics. A sprong was fixed to the wire crom the dash control. The other end was fixed to a loop of wire passing through the drain hole on the engine pan and around the back end of the pan. No holes drilled cor this fix.
Allan from down under.
(Message edited by davidn on December 21, 2017)
I love old finds like this, especially when needed repairs are not that great!
In NZ it is common to have copper fuel lines, but with a loop near the tank end. To my knowledge there have been no serious line fractures in the NZ club (at least none I have heard of).
(Please, if it works for you - then it works, I am not negating steel lines at all)
It has always amazed me (and not much really does), that so many of the best and nicest parts I have ever found, were the ones that looked the worst when I found them.
That really looked crummy from the onset.