Old photo OT sort of

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old photo OT sort of
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Found this in an old family album.
On the back of this photo it says paving hwy 41, Nenno. My grandmother grew up a little east of Nenno which is about 35 miles northwest of Milwaukee. Must have been a big deal when the road was paved. Now hwy 41 is a freeway about a mile to the east and this road is now hwy 175. This part of the rd was part of the Yellowstone trail,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

That is really cool Billy. That looks like a "heavy duty" truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Probably had solid rubber tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Definitely solid rubber tires on the rear, fronts are pneumatic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Looks like a crawler undercarriage on the steam powered machine doing the business. Maybe I'm seeing things tho.
Fantastic pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Anybody recognize what kind of dump truck it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Looks like a Foote "Multi-Foote" dry batch mixer/paver.
The dump truck (Federal? Menominee?) is dropping a load of dry mix into the skip (that big shovel-like pan behind it) that will be slowly tipped up into the mixing drum and concrete will come out the other end right onto the roadbed.
IF it is a Foote built machine, they first got crawlers in 1918, so the machine is later than that.

Kohering built a similar machine with an upright boiler, but I dont think it was a tracked, self-propelled unit like this beast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Is the truck right hand drive or is that a union job?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

L.H.D., Thats probably the guy who cranked the manual dump box up and down!
The driver had to back up to the skip, but then slowly drive ahead as he unloaded. The paver didnt stop to get recharged, it slowly crept forward continuosly and he had to keep ahead of it.
That "passenger" probably jumped out and guided the driver back, then metered out the load into the skip as he told the driver when to stop and when to inch ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Often with a cast iron radiator shell like it looks like this truck has,the name is cast into it on the top front,can't tell on this picture but the original might show in enough detail.
Dallas,If you went through a 5-year plumbers or pipefitters union apprenticeship,had to work 2000 hours a year minimum,went to school two nights a week during the regular school year,keep your nose clean on the job to "turn out",you wouldn't find that comment very amusing. And you might think you're worth a little more than someone that did a little weedpulling around a grain elevator in Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Steve I went to school 5 days a week. Worked seven days a week and started buying my 1st house my junior year in high school. Spent 18 years in an apprenticeship and have owned the construction company since 2009. I payed dues but not to a union and I dont think I am any better than anyone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

If it is a crank up box, wouldn't it have a cable arraignment sticking up above the cab? It looks like it has hydraulic cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I hitch-hiked from Milwaukee to Wausau via 41 many times in my high school years. I went to Concordia on 32nd and State in MKE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

The truck looks like a Pierce Arrow 5-Ton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Hal,

Alot of mechanical lifts were all under the box: big half round gears bolted to the box that "walked" around a hand-cranked stationary pinion gear and raised the bed themselves, or raised connecting rod-like link arms (which is what I think those things under the box are). I have a 3 yard one off of a TT that is like that.

Evan,
I dont think it is a Pierce Arrow because the radiator sides "splay out" slightly at the bottom and all the pictures of P.A. trucks I could find had straight vertical radiator side panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Truck might be a Hug Roadbuilder, mobile mixer could be Rex, both are only estimates. Merry Christmas to all. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Interesting post about really old construction use trucks. I have a feeling that many didn't survive and probably went to scrap faster than conventional old cars would.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration